• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600@ 3.5ghz, to skylake or not to skylake, that is the question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I've all but decided to upgrade my old q6600, but I'm not 100% sure it would be a wise decision at this point, I want to do it because:

- I've reached my limit with 8GB ram, I Want more, and my P5K can't do it.
- I'm being bottlenecked by my CPU, I have a highly overclocked (1225/1450) 7850 and its being slowed by my q6600.
- My USB 3.0 expansion card is interfering with my logitech unity reciever and my 2.4ghz lan, and I want that to stop.
- I want to get the new UFEI bios so I can boot faster, and I Want to upgrade to a pci-express drive for my boot OS.

The reason I'm hesitant:

#1- I want to be able to possibly do a crossfire setup in the future while being able to have a pci-express hard drive, and I'm afraid there are not enough lanes (16x total for skylake) to be able to do this.

#2- I want my system to be future proof, IE, I want to get a motherboard that would support perhaps a quad core skylake so that I will be able to do #1

#3- I'm unsure about usb 3.1 yet... the asus z170 deluxe comes with 6, and other motherboards come with 2, would i need 6 in the future? Would 2 really be enough?

So is it a good idea to jump ship to the skylake bandwagon yet? Do you guys think there are going to be some CPU breakthroughs coming with skylake or any other that will make me regret this decision? Should I wait a little bit longer?

Wait, so you start one thread asking if this is the move to make, then you start another for motherboards? So it seems like you made the decision already, no?

Not sure that 7850 is being slowed by your CPU, but that is neither here nor there I suppose.

1. I *THINK* you will still be fine with Crossfire. The PCH has PCIe lanes. That said, just grab an M.2 NVMe based drive and put it in an M.2 slot.

2. In your other thread, you are already getting a quad core... are you suggesting in this thread you are not?? I'm confused.

3. This isn't up to us to answer. You know your usage model. Do you plan on getting a slew of devices that require the bandwidth of USB3.1 G2? If so, two wouldn't be enough.

Get Skylake.

Back