• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory not running fast enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleboy77

Why Can't I get my computer to run my cosair xms pc3200 ram in dual channel mode at 200 mhz i can only get the ram to run at 166mhz My mobo is a a7n8x-e deluxe

*Deep breath*

What processor do you have? Locked or unlocked? Are you trying to use a divider? What memory voltage? What CPU voltage? What timings? What about it "doesn't run?" Is it unstable, or does it just not boot?

Can't really answer your question without knowing that. Your situation is pretty vague. :)

Ok sorry about my vaugeness..... I have a athlon xp 3000+ with the 400fsb.... nothing is overclocked or overvolted....just stock.... when I set the ram at 200 the computer will not post and I am forced to reset the cmos in order to get the computer to boot again then I need to reset all of my bios settings (duh!) I think the mrmory voltage is like 2.6 or something and the timings are 2-3-3-6 1t

Ok, so it should be using 400fsb by default. Check for a memory ratio option somewhere (I'm not familiar with the Asus) and set it to 1:1 or the fraction equivalent. It might be "100%" too. Try giving the memory 2.7v, and change the 1t to a 2t.

the one to set it to 100%? if so yeah.... right now it is set at "by spd".... also when I have it set like that the thing that shows how fast it should be changes every time I move around in the bios

the one to set it to 100%? if so yeah.... right now it is set at "by spd".... also when I have it set like that the thing that shows how fast it should be changes every time I move around in the bios
So did you try to set it to 100% instead of SPD?

I have this board.. and it's very picky.

I've had the board almost 3 months, and it's taken me this long to really figure out it's quirks. :bang head

I have to do this in order to change my fsb. seeing as we have the same board this just might work for you.

if you have a single stick of ram from any manufacturer, try this..

remove your corsair after using the case power button to turn off the system.
put the generic stick of ram in the black slot.
power up then set the settings you want to use with the corsair.
save and exit.. once it successfully posts hit the power button.
replace the genaric stick with your corsair sticks like normal. (I have mine in the blue slots)
power up the system. you'll know right away if it works or not.
if it posts just let it boot to windows and test the stability.

if it doesn't work with the stick you used, try a different stick if you have one

I also suggest you set the memory to 100%, and until you get it posting at 200mhz with your corsair you should set the ram timings to optimal.
you should be able to change the timing no problem once the board posts with your corsair.

a few times I've had to switch off the power supply after a normal case power off. to reset the overclocking protection.
may also help to power on without any ram installed, to jog it into re-detecting the ram.

using that method and a stick of 512mb CL2.5T Samsung DDR333 (PC2700) I was able to get my board to post at 11x 228mhz fsb 2.8v dimm (board max) 1:1 (100%) optimal timings, when I installed my OCZ 3700EB. I think I went to windows but it wasn't prime stable at all. (less than 1min)

currently I'm at like 215 fsb, seems prime stable, but task manager is showing lots of page faults.

now if that doesn't indicate a mobo and ram incompatability I don't know what would. :bang head

hope that helps...
good luck :beer:

_-_-_-_-_
PS. ram Cas Latency options are 2T, 2.5T, 3T, Auto

Back