• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best budget 1gig (2x516) combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hypertek

Ok im upgrade my mem in my abit bd7 II, I know this board is rated towards pc2100, but I should be able to run faster ram right?

Im looking for something around pc3200 minimum around $160ish. Any recommendations as to what brands and where to order? see my specs in my sig for suggestions, I probably wont stay with this mobo for long but somethin i can carry over.

You're looking for 2x 516? You won't find any. They are 512mb.

In either case, if you do not plan on overclocking the memory, I would recommend just about any PC3200 rated DIMMs that have the best timings for the price.

I've had good luck with Vdata modules when I go the dirt cheap route, and they always perform as advertised. If you simply want PC3200 speeds, order what's the best price (www.newegg.com perhaps?), most if not all, should run advertised speeds no problem.

If you plan on overclocking them, try the Buffalo PC3200, I believe they contain Micron 5B -C modules, which should overclock at least some with very good timings. You may have to spend more money for PC3200 that has a high change of being able to overclock decently.

I'd wait a day or 2 to start seeing the test results that will be posted about the PQI ram, it may shock or fizzle, we just dont know yet ;)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-154&depa=1

That is some PQI ram for $166 per 2x512 that one of the guys has bought and run to 230 plus, which is way more than you will probably do. It is just one example of available ram. If you get PC3200 you will probably underclock and may be able to run tighter than advertized timings. They also have some stuff that sells for a little more ($209 per gig) that uses Winbond ch-5 chips. The PQI stuff that everyone tell you to wait for is ultra low latencies and sells for $245/gig. I would also point you in the direction of some PC2700 which would probably provide you with all of the overhead you need.

well right now my FSB is 164 and im tryin to sort out cooling problems on my cpu to get it at 170. But i have my cpu/mem ratio at 4:3. I was thinking 3200 woudl leave me enough room for when i decide to upgrade to new mobo/cpu later on.

Yeah, you can use faster RAM in that mobo, no problem. Try Kingston PC2700 Value RAM. I have not seen any of this that will not do at least DDR400. I tried 2X512 KVR recently (see my thread for details) and got about 225 frequency out of them. With your current O/C, you should be able to use the 3:4 memory ratio for more bandwidth and still be good to go.

outpost has those geil ram combo out of stock and the girl said they have 60 backorders on them. any idea how long it usualy takes for mem to stock up? she didnt know.

I went wiht teh PQI thru newegg. Im sure it will be more then enough for my needs... hehhe.

Ill jus sell my old ram on ebay or something.

This is what I have:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-305&depa=1
Just get 2x of these, they are rated 2.5 6-3-3... i dunno why the ones that were posted are rated 2.5 7-4-4. It was a mistake for me to get it though, I wanted to go cheap on RAM since I didn't have enough money... but, I was able to pull out 220 out of them...

Anyway, I don't really recommend Geil, it's not that they're a bad company... it's just that there's 5 better brands out there.

Back