• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New budget build suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sadistik

Registered
Hey guys, how's it going? it's been along time since I've built a system. I'm looking to finish up my budget gaming system. Most parts have or will be bought used off Facebook market place. So far I've picked up an Intel I5 8400 and a Asus Prime Z370A-II Motherboard for $160.00. After picking the cpu and motherboard up I stopped at Best Buy and i picked up 16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2400 memory. Now I'm looking for recommendations on a M2 SSD, powersupply, video card, and CPU Cooler.

I have a lead on a brand new Corsair RM850X power supply. anyone have any experience with this power supply? Next, I'm considering a used MSI Gameing X GTX1060 3GB video card for $90.00. Again any concerns or other recommendations around the same price point. Last but not lease I've been looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition for a cpu cooler and the Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 for a ssd. let me know you're thoughts!

For the Power supply, last I heard the RM850X is pretty good. Overkill for an 8400 and single card, but if you get a good deal on it - why not. (Says the guy running a single GPU system off a 850w Seasonic...)

For the 1060, what resolution are you planning on gaming at? 3GB of VRAM isn't much these days, but doubt you'd get too much better for under $100. I've got one of the 6GB variants in my HTPC and it'll work at 1080p if you don't expect the moon.
Can't say *too* much else without a budget. The 212 was ok for it's time, may be able to do a bit better if you can spare a few extra $$$ though.

Last edited:
Freakdiablo, yeah the power supply i feel is a good deal. $80.00 brand new sealed in the box.

right now i dont have a gaming monitor but I would say minimum restitution is 1080... as i'm currently using a 40" Sony 1080 tv i got out of an apartment... it costed me $40.00 for a new power supply to fix it. as far as eye candy i've never been that person. I use to dumb down my setting to make sure i hit a decent frame rate. I'm not sure what im gonna play other than Call of duty 4 Modern warfare. I may buy the new Modern warfare as well also may try fortnite or titanfall... also my son want me to play monster world hunter with him... but not sure on that one! I'm a FPS guy! truthfully I don't have a budget, I just don't want to dump a bunch of money into this. I had around $3000 in my old setup. that said i've always been a middle of the road guy... I will never pay for a GTX2080 that's stupid money!

Not sure about MW2, but Monster Hunter was/is fairly intensive. Looking at Ebay there are a few 6GB 1060s for 110-120, may be worth it for 1080. Even if you don't go for the eye candy, may be worth the extra $30 or so for a bit of extra longevity @ 1080.

1070 would be great for 1080p, how much will a 1070 cost you? I would echo a 6gb 1060 as a minimum, although usually the RX580 or RX590 have an edge in that price / performance area.

Generally the price difference going from 1660 Super to 1660 Ti isn't worth it. You can get a super for less than that.

Right now you can get a much faster SSD for the same price https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-rocket-nvme-1tb/p/0D9-001Y-00012. The crucial is entry level M.2 but also kind of slow for NVMe. TBH if I was working with a tight budget I would choose this https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-SU635-..._1_6?keywords=adata+1tb&qid=1575353674&sr=8-6 and put the $25 towards my GPU.

Is your 8400 overclockable? Did it come with a stock HSF? The aftermarket cooler may be unnecessary as well.

Awesome, thanks Zerileous! I'll do the Sabrent, good price and alot faster. Just hope it's reliable!

no the 8400 doesnt have the unlocked multiplier. just wanted to keep it as cool as possible.

I'm gonna hold off on ordering until after the holidays! I currently have a ssd running the system so i'm not in any hurry. I need a video card first!

If you already have a SSD and it has enough capacity for your needs, I wouldn't spend a dime on a NVMe. It will make virtually no difference in games. Put that money into your GPU! With an extra $100 you can afford a 2060 Super. Or you could start saving for a monitor, since the 1660 Super will easily bring most games over 60 fps.

How comes there is almost no difference in loading time? CPU or code limited?

How comes there is almost no difference in loading time? CPU or code limited?

The amount of data being loaded isn't large enough to take much advantage of the extra band width of the PCIe bus. The only place where you will see much difference in loading times between NVME (PCIe) SSD and a SATA SSD is when booting Windows.

So, what´s actually the culprit factor of loading times for most games? Some games still may take up to 20 sec using NVMe drives, this is not minor.

Something i noticed: Games like WoW offer huge boost HDD vs. SSD but at this point, as soon as SSD used, it does not matter how fast the SSD behaves, almost any SSD is fine.
The only place where you will see much difference in loading times between NVME (PCIe) SSD and a SATA SSD is when booting Windows.
Not really because PC can be put to sleep mode and usually wakes up almost instantly, there is no battery-issue on a gamer PC. ;)

Last edited:
But a lot of people still turn their computers off when not using them and so boot times may be important to them.

And I'm not a gamer so perhaps I am in error saying you won't see much difference in loading time between SATA and PCIe. If there are large amounts of game data being loaded into memory then you would see a difference. But other than that, the biggest difference will be in boot times. Even boot times will be much faster with a SATA SSD than with a spinner hard drive. So with a SATA SSD you might see 20 second boot times and with a PCIe SSD you might see 10 second boot times. Both will give fast boots but one will be about half the other, if that is important to someone.

To hardcore gamers every second counts, it always depends on your individual demand. For example when modding Skyrim i have to load a lot of times in order to check out mods or fix something, every second will add up in the long run.

Boot time, Game load/level load times, large file transfers... all things that show/feel improvements over SATA...

Only to a certain extend i feel, because a SSD twice as fast will not produce half the loading time, maybe 1-2 sec out of 20 sec; the difference is very minor compared to the drastically increased SSD-speed. So i wonder what´s the limiting factor here and would it be possible getting ride of true bottlenecks so, for example, i may have 5 sec instead of 20 sec loading times? Lets say i use a 9990X CPU (64 cores crunching those loading-matters) and extremely fast VRAM/RAM, is this useful or not? Difficult for me figuring out if this matter is hardware related or simply no good code, so it will not properly use more powerful ressources. I hope the new console generation will make some advancement because they will be using NVMe and good hardware.

Of course it won't double performance/cut time in half. But there is a difference in the things I have mentioned in many cases.

Back