• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amperage of memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moto7451

Senior Something
I'm thinking of making a sort of Volt mod "DIMM." Think OCZ booster crossed with the 3.3v-5v Volt mod some people do by just soldering a wire from one of those outputs (sometimes with a resister) to the mobo. I've already finished figuring out what resisters I need (I'm using the Voltage Divider rule) but I'm wondering if the amperage of the 5v input will be too much or if the memory will only take what it needs. I have fans that say they draw .2A or .1A (off of the .5A 12v line) so my guess is that I wont be putting too much current through my memory but I wanted to make sure.

EDIT: If I do make this I'll share it with the forum but school's starting & that's always a good plan stopper...

i am not an engineer by any means. but i will try. (i dont like good questions to go unanswered) i checked at hynix's site and checked for the maximum power dissapation of a bt/d43 chip (32 meg) and it says 1 watt. so i would think that a 2x512 using 32 chips (16 on each module) would be in the neighborhood of 32 watts. be advised this is a maximum of 2.5v. so if u hit them with higher voltage they will dissapate more watts..

maybe one our members who works for a memory manufacturer or who is an engineer can be more accurate..

I wasn't really looking for the heat dissipation but the amperage used by a chip. If each chip puts out 1W of heat each chips is using a minimum of .4A. Since no circuit is perfect I'd guess that its using about half an amp. Thats fine for what I'm doing since the chips are wired in parallel most likely. Thanks.

Moto7451 said:
I wasn't really looking for the heat dissipation but the amperage used by a chip. If each chip puts out 1W of heat each chips is using a minimum of .4A. Since no circuit is perfect I'd guess that its using about half an amp. Thats fine for what I'm doing since the chips are wired in parallel most likely. Thanks.

oops 2.5v divided into 1 watt = .4 amps x 16 chips per module=6.4 amps per module. probably not exactly but close..

Back