• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Setup Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well i had a setup before but ive changed one component and im sure there are better items out there.

CPU: Whitewater (anything better)
GPU: not sure which is the best 6800 block out there?
NB: Maz4 Chipset Block (anything better)
Res: Bay res (is dual necessary?)
Rad: Whats the best radiator, not heatercore i dont wanna have to mod my case to fit a heatercore so dont flame me or recommend one, i was looking at the thermochill dual rad, anything better?)
Pump: Ehiem 1250 ( but ill need a pump relay but i heard i have to cut up wires from my ehiem 1250 voiding the warranty, would the dd 12v be better than the 1250? Is either strong enough for what im going to be cooling?)
Misc: 1/2OD tubing, clamps, the liquid 2 120mm fans for rad, do i need to buy a shroud for the radiator?

with multiple blocks, I would go with Liang D4 (DD D4 or Swiftech 650) since it has better performance in term of head pressure than the Eheim.

If you're going to get a reservoir at all, a dual 5.25" bay res would be the way to go. As for the best radiator, I believe it's the Black Ice Xtreme II (dual 120mm) and I would recommend an MCP650/Laing D4 (same thing) over an Eheim. Much better performance, especially in a multi-block system, and it's designed specifically for 24/7 use with a MTBF of 50,000 hours for the motor. And you should buy a shroud for the rad to get the best performance out of it.

It looks like you are willing to spend a lot of money here... I use whitewater for my cpu and couln't be happier. However, I would like to trade if for a 6000 series block for my socket-a system (hint hint). It's rather annoying using the wyee so try and get a block with only one outlet and one inlet.

Gpus... hmm. I hear the mcw-50(t) works with 6800's but you have to have an adapter for it. I honestly don't know, this is what I've read here. The DD Maze 4 will work but may require some modding - this is depentand on your card model and manufactur.

NB blocks - Most of the big players (here and proforums) suggest that they are overkill. I agree in most cases but if you volt mod your northbridge and run 2+v through it, then that's just a little reassurance. I do it. The Maze4 NB has one of the lowest pressure drops for NB blocks but NB blocks are hardly the most restrictive piece in a loop and the restriction is just about negated. Basicly when it comes to NB blocks, pick what looks best with your system as it won't make a noticable difference.

Res: Any res will work, or a tee - do searching on it.

Rad... This is a tough decision. Since you don't want to do any/little modding, I suggest getting 120mm cores. You will need at least two 120mm rads or a double-120 rad. Anything from Black Ice or Thermochill will work. Basicly what it comes down to is what will fit in your case, how much performance you want, how much modding you are willing to do, an how much are you willing to spend. Just about enough of anything will work well.

The Eheim 1250 is being fazed out as pump of choice. The new 12v pumps are really all the talk of the town. I am happy with my l30I. Anything will work, really. If you want awesome performance, get two mpc500/650's and run 'em in series. If you want okay performance, get a l30II or similar. You should be happy with the 1250 but there are better options out there.

Definiately shroud the rad. You'll thank me.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info guysk now im hesitant on the res because i just saw the T cap thing from dangerden and that looks simple especially because its at the highest point in the system and would make it a lot easier just lifting the cap and filling it up.

As for the CPU if you want the best block made I would say get the Storm G4 made by Cathar. As for the best rad I would say either a 72 caprice classic heater core, a 77 bonneville (SP?) heater core. The pump I would say either a D4 if you want a 12volt pump or a nice pondmaster if you want a 110volt.

also im going to be getting a lian li pc75 im going to put the rad at the top of the case since there is room above the psu more room than my chieftec should i have the fans sucking air from the outside or from the case itself?

Back