• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP vs. PCI express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

Not exactly sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it is relivent to motherboards :)

The board that i have now has an AGP 8x slot, and it looks an AWFUL lot like the pci express x16 slot. Can you run an AGP card in a PCI express 16x slot? or do you need a dedicated pci express card?

you can't run pci express card in agp slot as well you can't run agp card in pci express slot,

MikeyLikesItSI said:
Not exactly sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it is relivent to motherboards :)

The board that i have now has an AGP 8x slot, and it looks an AWFUL lot like the pci express x16 slot. Can you run an AGP card in a PCI express 16x slot? or do you need a dedicated pci express card?
Until games become 2x as complicated as farcry, PCI express wont shine.
PCI<AGP<PCI EXPRESS
in bandwith, not pure speed, other components usually bottleneck it.

so then to go to a socket 775 mobo with 915 chipset, i might as well factor in the cost of a pci express video card.....

meionm said:
pci express doesn't offer more than agp does,

True dat. Find benchmarks, usually pcie pulls ahead a little, but nothing noticable at all. Save your money, buy DDRII if you need an upgrade. (plus the motherboard ofcourse)

I wouldn't switch Lga 775 till intel release cpu with 1066 fsb, as goes pci express indead it offers some improvement in some benchmark and 1% improvement doesn't justfy system change,

I'm guessing that as soon as next year we might see some games that can break the 8x agp bandwidth ceiling. I know for sure that new unreal engine, unreal3? will use the extra badwidth. For people that dont change computers every 6 months, u try to future proof as much as possible. At the end of this year im upgrading to 90nm s939 A64/NF4/PCI-E 6800GT, and that should hold me til next year.

Doesnt doom/hl2 require more bandwidth than unreal? (I guess that doesnt count the next unreal engine, but if your doing that, count doom4/hl3 then)

meionm said:
I wouldn't switch Lga 775 till intel release cpu with 1066 fsb, as goes pci express indead it offers some improvement in some benchmark and 1% improvement doesn't justfy system change,
Got that right, IMO.

But I may consider an LGA775 i865/875 hybrid, like the Asus P5G800 or DFI 875P-T. But untill they can get a solid 'freq lock' on PCIe16, I don't see any point in the high cost of switching to a 9.xx chipset mobo.

Strat

Back