• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to leak test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joelkyr

Got all my hardware now, and I want to leak test it before I put it inside my case, is there a guide to leak test my WC and also one of my concern is my pump, how should I set it up, can i put my inlet facing up, coz Ived got some space problem. THANKS

You should be able to place your pump with the inlet facing up. If you wouldnt mind post what type of pump you have please.

For leak testing your best bet is to assemble, fill-n-bleed, and run your watercooling setup externally for 24-48 hours. I would also consider placing all the components in as close to the relative final internal positions as they will be. In short simulate the watercooling as it will look inside the system while it is still outside the system. Place all components on paper towers or something like paper towel since it shows when is wet fairly easily.

Once you are done with that you will need to probably partially disassemble your system to put it into place. Once everything is reconnected run it again, this time for around 12 hours without turning on your computer. A relay will probably need to be used if you are using a pump which runs off the power supply.

By the time you have done these two steps you should be fairly confident about leaks.

Keep a couple things in mind.
1. Every time you move your system around it will put different stresses on the connections. Each time you do this make sure to check each and every connection visually and by touch.
2. Not all leaks are of the fire hydrant variety. Make sure to do your best to scan and feel for slow leaks, which while less dangerous to your components, can over time become just as much of a problem or develop into larger leaks.

I havent used one of those personally but I know I have seen pics of peoples system with them mounted at a 90 degree angle to how they would naturally sit in the bottom of a case. Some people make 'stands' that allow the feet to be zip tied/affixed in place to keep the pump stationary. If you do this ya might want to make sure to have some sort of vibration dampener between the stand and case.

Lots of people use that pump, its certainly a good one (a lil pricey for me right now, will have one sooner or later tho ;) ) so someone should have some definitive feedback on it shortly.

Another option to be completely sure is to write Swiftech and ask if they suggest it or not.

i have same pump, and i believe its ok to run it with the inlet facing up. Read up on the installation notes and it DOES NOT say any thing about having to run the pump in a certain orientation.

you can run your pump any which way you want. The idea of not being able to do that is ridiculous...its a closed loop

To leak test:
cut all your tubing to the right lenghts and assemble your entire loop as it will look inside your case, including hoseclamps and all. Fill it up (make sure your pump and rad are as full as possible.)
Jumpstart your PSU and let her rip overnight.
You should put the entire assemblage on papertowels so you can see wher there is water coming out. Another good idea is tracer die or colored additives to better see where ther is a leak.

You have two options, A, just place the loop anywhere (outside case too) and watch it there. B, mount your mobo (with the ATX power plug NOT connected) and mount your block onto your socket (without the cpu). place all components where they will be, and let it run ther overnight. PLace towels down as well.

SenC.

I got an extra PSU, can I use this to test it and how do I jumpstart my PSU?:D

joelkyr said:
I got an extra PSU, can I use this to test it and how do I jumpstart my PSU?:D

Yes, you can. Just insert one end of a wire into the green wire connector and the other end to a black wire connector and turn it on.

Back