• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEST 12v pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genetic

Registered
im wondering which pump i should get now, at first i was looking at the danger den d4 12v pump, but i hear its very loud. any 12v pump out there thatll perform the same if not better? and is quieter than the d4?

-thanks in advance

Not very many 12v pumps that can compete with the D4/MCP 650. If you can find a way to muffle the pump, then I would say go for it.

i love my d4 but everynow and then the noise it makes can get anoying im going to pick up a sunbeam fan controller to turn it down a little when im im not under load

if you run it with air bubbles in your system, it is much louder. When you dont have bubbles, it emits a high pitched whine, but its really not as bad as people make it out to be, especially when its inside your enclosed case.

SilverJag said:
I believe the MCP600/650 is quieter than the D4..

MCP650 is the D4.

The MCP600/AquaXtreme 50-Z is also an excellent alternative, and in terms of heat dumped into the loop, a slightly better solution than the D4. Added bonus is that they're quieter than the D4's as well.

sunrunner20 said:
question: why do you want a 12V pump?
to run it off my psu??? i dont want to deal with a relay switch, and its moe convenient. i guess ill go with the d4, ill have my side panel closed, ill find a pad to put under it to help it out a bit. thanks for the comments fellas :)

Mine actually came with a foam pad, about the thickness and texture of a mousepad, to put under it. Fits the shape perfectly, witgh 2 holes for mounting.

As far as I know you can't get the DDC yet.

The MCP650 is based on the D4, but slightly modified. Swiftech requested it be made quieter by Laing before they'd sell it. Any D4 other than Swiftech's is a bit noisy in comparison.

I love my Swiftech MCP600, the older Swiftech one, before they switched to the Laing D4, the MCP650.

This MCP600 is also dead silent.

I'm afraid I have no clue where you would find one now though, it seems that most retailers are only selling the MCP650s now.

ls7corvete said:
What makes you think that?
The pump was designed from the ground up for watercooling PCs. Its high-head, low-flow design is well suited to this task. It's very small and very quiet, about as quiet as an Eheim 1048. And finally, it's built like a Laing...top quality through-n-through. Nothing else even comes close to doing what this pump does. When this pump becomes available it will supplant all others.

felinusz said:
I love my Swiftech MCP600, the older Swiftech one, before they switched to the Laing D4, the MCP650.

I'm afraid I have no clue where you would find one now though, it seems that most retailers are only selling the MCP650s now.
The easiest place to find the MCP600 is at www.cooltechnica.com . It's the exact same pump as the MCP600 rev.2 except it's under the name AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12. Oh, and it's black instead of blue :attn:

Link - http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...ROD&Product_Code=AQX-50Z-DC12&Category_Code=P

Graystar said:
The pump was designed from the ground up for watercooling PCs. Its high-head, low-flow design is well suited to this task. It's very small and very quiet, about as quiet as an Eheim 1048. And finally, it's built like a Laing...top quality through-n-through. Nothing else even comes close to doing what this pump does. When this pump becomes available it will supplant all others.

It is indeed a good pump. More suited though for incredibly highly restrictive blocks. Peak flow is just a little lacking at around 1.5gpm @ 12v, and is therefore poorly suited for various low-restriction high-flow blocks. For blocks where the point of rapidly diminishing performance returns is below 1gpm, then yes, it is indeed a very attractive pump.

Push its peak pressure out to 20', and it's peak flow out to 3gpm, at 12v, and then it would almost universally supplant all others.

felinusz said:
I really wish people would stop saying that. No, the MCP600 is not dead silent. "Silence" is a relative term. To you, it's quiet. To me it's deafening. It actually has a very audible hum to it in my system.

Graystar said:
The pump was designed from the ground up for watercooling PCs. Its high-head, low-flow design is well suited to this task.

Where does it say it was made for "watercooling PCs"?

All I see is

Suitable for a broad range of sophisticated electronic cooling systems

9mmCensor said:
Where does it say it was made for "watercooling PCs"?
Well, it does say "...for liquid cooling systems in the computer industry..."

This was also implied from the discussion about this pump at ProCooling, where it appears BillA was a contributor to its spec and features.

Back