• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft pisses me off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerhskate

Ok first off my brother just got his computer today and we had to activate it once earlier with the key that i have on this computer. Ok so an XP key is supposed to support up to 2 computers or something so anyways its not stealing. Ok so i thought one of the ram sticks were bad so i took it out and i put it back in and now i have to reactivate windows again...WTF?? I tried and it said my key had been used too many times and i had to talk on the telephone with some pakistan woman. This was quite annoying and i better not have to go through that kind of **** whenever i format :bang head

tylerhskate said:
Ok so an XP key is supposed to support up to 2 computers or something so anyways its not stealing.
Actually you can only install XP on one computer, you need one product key for each PC it is installed on.

from what i hear that is what you have to do when you add or change hardware but i dont have to do that because i have the coporate edition of professional that means unlimited installs and no activation...

Kinda annoying when you have multiple systems. 90 bucks for each copy of windows xp home.

Anyways, earlier this year my ram went bad. I've managed to switch it out with a completely different brand and it never asked me to re-activate windows again. But I did reformat windows because it had some corrupted files on it. I guess it also depends on the speed of the ram. I switched 3200 with a 3200 that has slightly lower timings.

thats why i love XP Pro Corporate. none of that activation crap, don't have to do anything if i install new hardware. whenever i format, there is no stupid hassle.

Daewood said:
from what i hear that is what you have to do when you add or change hardware but i dont have to do that because i have the coporate edition of professional that means unlimited installs and no activation...

obviously you don't own that and i doubt your company does

its not unlimited installs, you have to buy a site license, based on the number of computers you have, its really an on your honor system, but if they catch you breaking it, its big bucks to pay

There isn't really a corporate edition... There are volume licensed copies of XP, but not many people have these. If you are running this on your home PC, then your employer purchased a license to allow you to do this.

99% of the people who mention using corporate edition, call it that because that was part of the name when they downloaded it. :rolleyes:

Keep the forum rules in mind.

yeah, he's right. IMOG is always right.

but those of us that have the corp edition, keep our mouths shut on this specific topic.

zexmarquies01 said:
thats why i love XP Pro Corporate. none of that activation crap, don't have to do anything if i install new hardware. whenever i format, there is no stupid hassle.

good job admitting you steal software :) from either work or the internet.

zexmarquies01 said:
i never admitted anything. i'm pleading the 5th on this one.

;)

Hey lets not all be so quick to judge! He never said anything incriminating... I'll bet half you guys calling zechs owned have skelletons in their closet when it comes to FCKGW'ing XP.

Anyway- like IMOG said, there is no official corporate edition build, but there are corporate edition (actually called volume liscensed) CD-Keys. Most schools, businesses, and organizations use volume liscenses. So I wouldn't say they are exactly rare. There are probably thousands of keys out there that are liscensed for multiple use.... and probably many more that exceed that limit :D.

I think you only have to reactivate windows after 3-4 major hardware changes, so what happened to you sounds rare. becouse I am always putting in new hardware. Also up to like 10 times you only have to tell a code to a computer to get a new id code. SO really its not that bad considering they are trying to stop people from stealing their OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back