• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dose Switching Memory Sticks Help OC :D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

im wondering... I have 1GB Corsair XMS In Dual Channel the highest i can get my fsb is 250mhz hm... so say i take both sticks out and swap each stick to the opposite DIMM would it help to oc a bit more :confused:

it MIGHT be possible... but highly unlikely. I have had cases of a DIMM would work in one slot, but not another, yet the other one would work in the first non-working slot, but not the 2nd working one....

Ok, did ya get that?

go for it. it is possible, but not highly likely.

aNTiChRisT said:
Could have saved yourself a thread and just done it =)

~t0m

lol.....very true.

Never in my past have i seen this. And even if you did gain a MHz or 2, i'm sure over time it'll equalize.

aNTiChRisT said:
Could have saved yourself a thread and just done it =)

~t0m

easy said then done :bang head my memory has 4x fans on them,and ill half to remove 5+ molex's, a 120mm fan, my 9800pro cause the zalman pipes block them from comming out so i wanted to know if it would work before spending 2 hours removing them ;)

Because you're running in dual channel, there's no way this could give you more speed.

If you were running single channel, the only way it could give you more speed is if the first stick is more reliable at high speeds than the other (which is doubtful in a dual channel kit anyway). That way, you would be more stable at a higher speed; that is, until you got to the second 512 megs of the RAM. :) But since you're dual channel, it uses both RAM sticks at the same time, the same amount. Switching will not help.

In my case (4x256mb) corsair xms3200c2 I have found that while one stick fails memtest in a certain slot, it will work in another slot.

Back