• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does expensive ram make a big difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
latency and timing are the same thing...look at the stickey for more info on that. Tthe Koma is PC3700 and the Corsair is PC4000, meaning the corsair is faster, but has higher latency. In my short experience of OCing, get the faster RAM. You can get your CPU higher with it while still running at 1:1, and you can lower the latency seperatly of the rest of the system.

i understand that if i oc the bus speed of the cpu to the ram speed, then it would be operating together as fast as possible, right? what exactly do the numbers in the timings mean?

thanks

jnev_89 said:
what about this ram? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-004&depa=1

i've read that tccd ram is really good or something...?

Those look good. G Skill is one of the covetted memory brands, that unfortunately can't be found here in Canada.

I'd wait for others to advise you on that memory but as far as TCCD goes, they are very popular because they scale very well at lower voltages. At 200mhz, they are rated at 2-2-2-X but they also do higher speeds are slightly relaxed timings. The key to getting over 300mhz if you are lucky.

the pc3200 ram is pretty slow, i want something more like pc3700-pc4400.

thanks for the link, very helpful.

"is the corsair worth the extra money (or is there anything else in the price range with better performance?"

If you aren't overclocking or have fun trying to raise benchmark scores, I don't think special low latency or high clock speed ram is worth the extra money. I think the money could be spent elsewhere for more enjoyment or bang for the buck.

I'm going to get some because my current Centon ram has failed and probably this summer I'll upgrade to OC the Winchester or that new core coming out and overclock some for the extra bang for the buck. If I wasn't I'd probably get a value series ram. Corsair value series is new for them and seems reasonably priced.

If your memory bus speed is running at the stock 333mhz like many AMD Athlon XP's, then getting memory rated higher than 333mhz (DDR333/PC2700) will not speed up your computer.

jnev_89 said:
the pc3200 ram is pretty slow, i want something more like pc3700-pc4400.

thanks for the link, very helpful.

PC3200 is slow? (PC3200/PC4400 rated...but offically PC3200 memory)

5-3-3.JPG

5-3bench3.JPG

This is what I normally run at (timings, not FSB/HT...see sig for 24/7 settings)...

7.6G.JPG

i didn't mean to offend you; i was just saying that without ocing the memory pc4400 will naturally support a higher bus speed (right?)

The TCCD Samsung chip memories are for the most part rated at PC3200 at the low latencies/timings the makers are advertising at. Meaning it's guaranteed to run at that speed at timings. From what I've read is that you can really ramp up the speeds by relaxing some of the timings while still using lower volt reqirements.

jnev_89 said:
i didn't mean to offend you; i was just saying that without ocing the memory pc4400 will naturally support a higher bus speed (right?)
Dont take it personally lol. He didnt mean it like that:D
____

As for your statement that is really speculative. To be honest its entirely possible. For example: Why are soo many A64 3000+ going over 2.6ghz and many 3500+ cant even break 2.5ghz?

Sure the 3500 is rated higher but its no gaurntee for a high quality core. It just increases the odds.

lol, ok whatever. forget it haha

anyways. do you guys think it's worth it for me to get that tccd ram or carsair instead of the hyperam?

No I dont think you should spend any money on ram. You should be saving to replace the ti4200 first...

i'm building a whole new computer. the ti4200 will be replaced with a 6600gt.

jnev_89 said:

Actually you didnt offend me...but people tend to think PC3200 as slow...which in some cases it is...but for some of the newer ram it isn't ;)

And this is a copy of a post I added to another thread last night about cheap ram running async being just as good as good TCCD and low latency...the lower the better for A64's...

glock19owner said:
I hear this all the time...yet has anyone physically shown this...no (I can write numbers down in a thread also...doesnt mean crap without physical proof)...as for low latency...lets see some cheap ram running async hit 38.5ns on latency...they cant...

All this crap about cheap ram being able to keep up with good ram running 1:1 is just like I stated...crap...

You want good system performance with good low latency...then get some good TCCD ram and run it 1:1...lets see cheap ram running async beat this latency...

Latency.JPG

just too keep it somewhat far...I have the memory running at default settings..

ADDED:

Heres what the latency is at 5-3-3-2.5 (36.5ns)

Latency2.JPG

1:1 is 1:1 ratio timings...running sync...not async...making the memory run slower then what the Mhz is set at...

Examples:

5:6 = 200Mhz but the memory is only running at 166Mhz...this lets you overclock the CPU more while running the memory less...which lowers the memory bandwidth and latency...

1:1 = 200Mhz and memory is running at 200Mhz...memory bandwidth is at the best for that Mhz and the latency is at its lowest...for most memory...

But my mistake was...I forgot you where running a intel and low latency doesnt have that big of a effect like it does with the A64's...the Intels would benifit better with the higher bandwidth...and even in that case (higher bandwidth)...you want to run at 1:1 as high as you can...so you want better ram...not ram you have to run a divider with...

Back