• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable IEXPlorer??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabkicks

how do I disable Internet explorer? I keep getting popups even after running tons of anti popup adware programs...

Gabkicks said:
how do I disable Internet explorer? I keep getting popups even after running tons of anti popup adware programs...
i forgot to mention i use mozilla firefox and almost never use iexplorer.

thx for that bat file. hopefully it works.

Gabkicks said:
Assuming you're running either XP or W2K, check to make sure the "Messenger" service is disabled...Start | Run |Type services.msc and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right-click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Under "Startup type", choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party applications should be affected by this.

The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the "net send" command). It uses ports 135 and 139, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups. A good firewall (or disabling the service altogether) will stop them, as ports 135 and 139 should NEVER be wide open to the internet.
infinitevalence said:
FIREFOX and IE Advice - Please Read This Before Posting
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=365094

Last edited:
Back