• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing two OCZ products...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Counda

I'm scoping out RAM for a new system sometime at the end of the month, and I'm looking at the following:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_5400-performance_series

http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...nhanced_bandwidth_ltd-revision_2_dual_channel

The first one is guarenteed to run at 667mhz, while the second is only guarenteed to run at 533mhz. My question is, will the higher latency on the first set (4-4-4-8) hold me back compared to the (3-2-2-8) the second set offers? I know those are guarenteed and they can run lower, but I plan on running stock until the summer is over and the weather is a bit cooler (31C outside earlier... Should be about 37C in the middle of summer, no AC).

I'm not really sure how much an effect higher latencies have, so if somebody could enlighten me it would be much apprecitated :)

I'm basically asking, which would be a btter choice for overall performace?

Thanks in advance for anybody willing to share their opinion.

What kind of processor are you looking at? It may be that your processor won't be able to push the ram anywhere near 667. If so, definitely get the 533. I have the 667 and its great. It's running at 760 or so atm.

Kayson - Looking at an Intel 640. That shouldn't have too much trouble pushing it to 667+ :)

For my mobo I'll be looking at anythign with a 955x chipset, whatever is avaliable at the time.

flapperhead - I'm not sure I can get what fugger has... I'm sort of stuck between these two products (Local shops aren't very good, and ordering small numbers of things in costs too much. Add on the fact that I'm not able to buy anything online and you get my situation...).

Thanks for the help so far, I'd still like some more opinions.

The OCZ DDR2 PC2-4200 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Ltd. Revision 2 Dual Channel would be your best bet in all cases. I've seen it overclocked to pc-6400 speeds and it holds 3-2-2- or 4-2-2 timings to very very high bus speeds :)

Alright, OCZ DDR2 PC2-4200 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Ltd. Revision 2 Dual Channel it is :)

Thanks Steve :)

Does anybody have experience overclocking this memory?

Back