• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best RAM IC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is the best DDR ram IC?

• TCCD

Votes: 64 41.3%
  • TCC5

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • UTT

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • BH-5

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • BH-6

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • CH-5

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • CH-6

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • -5B C

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • -5B G

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
I'm going with TCCD as the best all around. It runs cool, low voltags, scales great, major bandwidth, heavily tweakable, list goes on. Although BH5 and good UTT can give it a run for its money, i still prefer it for a daily rig. Next choice would have been UTT/BH5.

Micron -5B C no question about it. TCCD and UTT are nice and all, but they both have their trade offs (be it timings or voltage). The micron did high FSB speeds with 2.5-2-2- or 3-2-2 timings at all at 3.2V or less

I would say BH-5 because your most likely going to be able to get the most performance out of BH-5 because of its ability to run 2-2-2-5 at high speeds. The tighter timings will usually outmatch the performance of the higher speeds of TCCD/TCC5 especially on Athlon 64 platforms.

TCC5/TCCD. Basiclly the same thing. Both great IMO. Then again, i don't know too much. :p

BH-5 or BH-6 sickest ram ever made. UTT might do 250fsb BH-5 does do 250 or better. TCCD I don't really think is all that great sure it can hit 300mhz FSB but some of the micron stuff could to.

Besides the 2 sickest things i've ever seen are BH-5 267fsb 2,2,2,5 timings on a Socket a system and 293mhz FSB 2,2,2,6 timings I believe on an A64.

None of the above. Here is a screenie of my OCZ EB rev2 PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM which uses Micron chips I believe.

OCZ-EB-cpuz-tightest.JPG

Out of the list (since I have used all the chips mentioned) TCC5 would be the best in both stability and speed. Micron would be the worst.

In order:

TCC5
BH-5
TCCD
BH-6
UTT
CH-5
-5B G
CH-6
-5B C

Sen you do realize that the difference between tcc5 and TCCD is the fact that tcc5 is lower speed rated? Just like the difference between BH-5 and BH-6 is BH-6 is a larger die size and thus requires more voltage to run at the same speed as bh-5

I voted for BH-5, but that vote should count for both BH-5 and BH-6. BH-6 performs about the same, it just takes high voltages better. Because of the larger die size, BH-6 running at 3.8V is candy. Arguably, BH-6 is the better IC for overclocking when treated properly. It is anecdotal, but take a look at hipro5's consistant KHX BH-6 results. The BH-6 memory IC is perhaps the greatest "sleeper hit" memory of all time, it is underrated to the extreme.

My vote goes to BH-5/BH-6 because of it's ability to not only run with extremely tight timings, but to actually run with complete stability with them. That says quite a lot.

It's as if these chips were engineered by aliens for tight timings, high voltages, and overclocking :).

The only "drawback" that I can see to BH-5/BH-6 is the voltage involved in using it properly - I say "drawback" because I don't think it's really a problem, I am currently running my BH-5 at 3.78V for day-to-day use. At ~270 MHz 1.5-2-2-3, with tight secondary timings, nothing can touch it.

batboy
None of the above. Here is a screenie of my OCZ EB rev2 PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM which uses Micron chips I believe.

Wow! And to think that this tech is still relatively new - we'll see more from DDR 2.

I voted for TCCD...that's what I have, and it made me feel better. :) It's nice to have an IC that can run, like PMSFishy said, moderately tight timings at high FSB and 2-2-2-6 at around 220. Makes it a pretty versatile solution.

BH-5/BH-6 is just plain classic. :) That's the first real overclocking memory I had, and that stuff is just awesome. Great timings, and nothing else enjoys voltage like it does.

-5BC? No thanks...anyone else remember the Buffalo PC3700/-5BC nightmare? :eek: eva2000 still didn't get his money back, I don't think. Probably Buffalo's PCB and process more than anything, but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I like TCCD/TCC5 for the sane ≤3vdimm settings with really tight timings at DDR450 and below that I'm willing to run 24/7.

If it comes out on 1GB sticks for a price I can afford, I'll get some in a New York minute.

Back