• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap UTT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Otter

I've decided to go with 4x512MB of cheap UTT for a DFI NF4 mobo with an 4400 Toledo, but I could use some help with the modules currently available. With the manufacturers changing chips and binning practices all the time, I'm a bit confused. :eh?:

2GB of RAM could get expensive, so I'm looking for something cheap. Maybe $135/GB tops, preferably less. Given the low gains in real world performance with better RAM, it's hard to justify spending too much on it. I'd be very pleased with anything that could do 2-2-2-2T at 240MHz, but I could live with a lower OC. Not blowing up at the volts needed to reach 2-2-2 with a moderate overclock is also greatly preferred. I'm not planning to voltmod my PSU, so at least until DFI fixes the problem with powering the RAM slots from the five volt rail, I'll be limited to 3.2V or 3.3V. The two cheapest options below do not have heat spreaders, which is a plus for me, as I'd just have to take them off to install my own cooling.

I'm aware of the following sticks, feel free to suggest others, tell me if these are not UTT, or give details about the various versions of these parts and how to get them.

Twinmos Speed Premium (TMSP400/512) $104/GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218405
no heat spreader

OCZ Value (VX?) (OCZ4001024WV3DC-K) $113/GB
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=20-227-213
no heat spreader
untested chips - a real crapshoot.

OCZ EL (OCZ4001024ELDC-K) $115/GB (w/ rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146883
copper heat spreader

Mushkin Blue (991433) $121/GB
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=47
heat spreader
I've seen reports of great OC's from these, but some say blue hasn't been the same since redline came out. Is redline getting all the best chips now?

Please help me out, folks. Which sticks do you think are most likely to meet my requirements?

the twinmos will probably reach 240 with 2-2-2 timings and only 3.2vdimm, you could always go a little risky, but ill send you a pm on that. the OCZ EL isnt UTT, its Mosel or Infenion chips, which wont hit 240 unless you loosen to 2.5-4-4-7 or 2.5-3-3-7, and the mushkin stuff might not be UTT anymore, it was hazy between whether it was UTT or mosel or infenion or powerchips, but i havent kept up on it, so i really dont know anymore. The twinmos SP's are your best choice.

The TwinMOS Speed Premium or OCZ Value VX is what i would go for. The Value VX is using UTT-BH chips now so they should clock fairly well after you burn them in. Most Speed Premium is suppost to be UTT-BH now as well. You'll get a better warranty and support with the OCZ RAM.

burningrave101 said:
The TwinMOS Speed Premium or OCZ Value VX is what i would go for. The Value VX is using UTT-BH chips now so they should clock fairly well after you burn them in. Most Speed Premium is suppost to be UTT-BH now as well. You'll get a better warranty and support with the OCZ RAM.
Agreed but don't forget that UTT is usualy a crap shot, you might get 290 out of them and you might get 220.
Thats what UTT stands for :)
OCZ got some mean warrenty and SteveOCZ is helping people out here on the forums so thats a plus.

Thanks guys.

I got those part numbers from the UTT sticky on xtremesystems, but maybe it's out of date.

HouseRat, I've been reading your Twinmos thread. Encouraging stuff. :)

Between OCZ Value VX and Twinmos SPD, does anyone have any thoughts on which would be more likely to produce four out of four good sticks?

Otter said:
Thanks guys.

I got those part numbers from the UTT sticky on xtremesystems, but maybe it's out of date.

HouseRat, I've been reading your Twinmos thread. Encouraging stuff. :)

Between OCZ Value VX and Twinmos SPD, does anyone have any thoughts on which would be more likely to produce four out of four good sticks?
I have six sticks of TwinMOS UTT (BH-die and CH-die)..... Never had a problem with any of them.

HousERaT said:
I have six sticks of TwinMOS UTT (BH-die and CH-die)..... Never had a problem with any of them.
Do you mean that they all OC well at 2-2-2, or only that you haven't managed to blow any of them up yet?

if those are your options then I would recommend the Twinmos.

Otter said:
Do you mean that they all OC well at 2-2-2, or only that you haven't managed to blow any of them up yet?

My 4 sticks of TwinMOS CH-die UTT will clock at 1.5-2-2-6 260fsb...... the main thing with CH-die UTT is to keep the voltage down as low as possible..... I run mine with 3.4v. There may be more in those sticks but I'm not gonna kill them trying to find it. If you want to run crazy high voltage use some bh-5/bh-die memory. I'm running my bh-die TwinMOS sticks with 3.7v right now.

Back