• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading but don't want to reinstall windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I am helping my cousin do his upgrade and he gotten everything and is ready to go, but he doesn't want to reinstall windows since there is a difference in hardware. Is there way to by pass re-installation of the windows.

if they allow it, sometimes if the configuration has changed too much they make you call and reactivate it by phone, personally its not a big deal to me, but to some they despise it. Too each his own I guess

Trombe said:
Don't you just have to re-activate it?
nope, that comes later :)

If you are using the same proc type (intel or AMD) as you were before the repair install should work. Basically the more things you change the more likley it will be you need to reinstall.
The repair is found by booting to the windows CD, choosing install (not recovery console) then when it searches for previous versions choose to repair the one it finds. If that doesn't work then thats all there is to it, time for a reinstall.

doesnt that repair install take you straight to msdos. few times i've tried that it had taken me straight to msdos option. and it just stood there....

You would want to do it like you are doing a fresh install. The disk will search for previous installs, and when that screen comes up, it will ask if you want to repair the install, exit, or install new. I am not really sure if that is the exact wording, since it has been a few months since I have installed, and am not working with an OEM machine anymore. Do it like you are going to reformat the hard drive and reinstall, but instead when that screen comes up all you should have to do is press the "R" key.

BioTuned said:
doesnt that repair install take you straight to msdos. few times i've tried that it had taken me straight to msdos option. and it just stood there....
thats the recovery console option (i.e. not what you want) as deadlysin and myself mentioned you want to skip past like your doing a normal install and it will find the previous version of windows and ask what you want to do.

before swapping motherboards, change the IDE controller to Standard Dual PCI IDE controller from Microsoft. This usually will let you boot into the OS with the new motherboard.

Always back up your data, just in case.

I took a hdd with Win98 that was installed in a 200mhz Intel comp and used it in a 1100mhz AMD comp. I never re-installed Windoze, but it askd for the CD a lot to install the new drivers. Works great now.

windows XXX to windows 2000 you have to re-install it...as far as i know.....but windows xp is whole new different thing......

Weren't you allowed to have some stuff changed hardware wise and still remain the official xp licence?...Recommmending to reinstall anyway cause it'll run way smoother then an upgraded system.

Back