• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just drilled trough my HC, what to get now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

I was about to mount a fan on the HC and build a shroud around it and I drilled too much and punctured it :bang head
Oh well, live and learn. Anyhow I see that DD has a sale on Black Ice rads and for the price of a new HC I can get a BIP so how would these babies copare? I will be using a 3 blade delta.
I can't really fit a dual rad in my case, maybe with some major modding which I'm not so keen on doing but will if it makes MUCH difference.
Thanks for the advice.

A 120mm x 2 rad will make a big difference, or two 120mm rads. The single larger rad is prefered however.

I would say it woudl be worth the effort. However, if you are Just cooling your CPU, and do not plan to add in any more blocks, a single 120mm rad would do just fine.

The nice thing about the black ice series rads, (any computer WC fabbed rad for that matter) is they generaly have mounting hardware, predrilled, and come with the barbs already installed.

greenman100 said:
haha, all that work and you drill through the hc
Yeah tell me about it, I was like 2mm off. I was going trough and the bolts ware sticking more then I wanted them to so I said to myself "Ok just 2mm more to make it flat with the fan" so I start hooking everything up and I notice a few drops on the workbench.
I wasn't mad as much as I was frustrated, all this work for nothing :(

I did the same thing on my BIXIII :bang head

I just took it to the local radiator repair shop..

they fixed the hole and leak tested it..

they didn't even charge me for the repair.

it took them like 15min to fix it and I was back up and running!

You can fill the gap between the fins with JB weld (the regular kind). It worked on my car radiator.

It'll fill up one tiny "slot", which will have no noticeable effect on performance.

On the plus side, if you can see the leak, you can apply JB weld directly on it, and nowhere else. Just remember that the area has to be bone dry first.

bigben2k said:
You can fill the gap between the fins with JB weld (the regular kind). It worked on my car radiator.

It'll fill up one tiny "slot", which will have no noticeable effect on performance.

On the plus side, if you can see the leak, you can apply JB weld directly on it, and nowhere else. Just remember that the area has to be bone dry first.

I was gonna suggest the same thing but bigben2k beat me to it. Just a couple of warnings A) Do not get JB Weld on clothing or skin (its a pita to get out) B) it takes 24 hours to dry C) its permanent so look twice spread once.

JB weld isn't too hard to get off your skin. I'd know i tried to JB weld my hands together. sadly it didnt work :shrug:

Back