• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 cooling info/advice needed please;

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hey all,

Just swung a deal to pick up one of these: A Powercolor x800 Pro VIVO 256MB AGP card.

Right now, I've got a 9800XT in my gaming rig, and when this arrives, it will replace it (with the 9800XT going to my "main" rig, and the 9600 Pro there will...I ain't figured that part out yet... :p ).

My gaming rig is water cooled, with a Swiftech MCW-50 block on the 9800XT.

My Question IS: Will this block fit the x800 above? Info at Swiftech say it's compatable "with all ATI® Radeon™ products (including the latest X800 series)"

I'd just like some conformation from someone who's mounted one that it's a direct fit.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

yes, its a direct fit - the ATI mounting holes are standardized

i suggest getting some ramsinks for the RAM though, as they give off more heat than thoes on the 9800

Yep block fits up fine. When you remove the cooler, you also remove the cooling on half the ram sinks.

Its clear that ATI didn't think the back side sinks needed them, so why bother with cooling the front? Plus faster RAM on these cards, doesn't make much of a difference.

Great! Thanks for the replies guys! :thup:

I had a feeling the mounting holes were "standardized", but then, I know my luck...this one card in a million would be a non-conformist... :p

I'll probably play with it as is for a while, until I get the stones up to flash the BIOS to an XT. I'll see if it'll handle XT speeds for a while without issue first, before I make that leap.

Thanks again! :beer:

B.

Back