• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D5 pump recommendations and info, please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

Next month I'm buying a D5 pump (already ordered a dual bay reservoir). I've been eyeballing Swiftech and Alphacool because that's what people seem to have in stock. I like the 1200 to 1500 l/h and 12+ ft. head pressure of the 655 pumps so far. It will be a single loop with a 240 rad due to case restrictions. Should be room for a reasonably thick rad, maybe push-pull fans if necessary.

I'll be cooling a FX 8350 and OC'ng it, hopefully to 4.6? 4.7? As far as reasonable with available cooling. The rig never gets stressed and C&Q, etc., will all be enabled once the OC is set. I want the extra juice available just because, LOL. It plays solitaire and scrolls FB, so I want massive overkill. :clap: Anyway, any recommendations on reliable D5 pumps? And is 1/2"x3/4" tubing too much? I want good flow, but if it's just going to sit there waiting to get through the waterblock and heat soak then it's counterproductive. My thinking was quantity of coolant at low pump speeds will be easier on parts and quieter. I'm open to input and experience here, though.

This is the waterblock. It's black and RGB and goes with her build so we're getting this one. LOL http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-pro-rgb-waterblock-amd-am4-black.html

I am using a MCP655 variable speed, which has been replaced by Swiftech with the MCP655-PWM-oem. It's been a great pump and has run strong for many years. The PWM feature seems to be a nice addition on the newer model.
I use 7/16x5/8 tubing which is a giant pita to get on the 1/2 fittings, but I've never had any leak issues with it.

Don't forget you'll need a strong fan on the VRM & something on the back of the socket too.

Are you creating the hole for the 140mm or is it a factory side fan? Most factory side intakes line up with the video slots instead of the VRM. You might be able to add a duct to get it where it's needed though.
Here's a couple pics of my FX8320 in an old Rocketfish Lian Li full tower case.

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

It has a side panel mount. It also has an adjustable mount to hang one on the 3.5" drive cages, which can be aimed. It's a NZXT Phantom 410. The only time it will ever see full speed is during boot or file transfers. I'm not looking to take it to the ragged edge, just something a little special. She indulges my interests when I buy toys, so it would be nice to include her. :D

edit: Almost forgot. Mobo is a Asus 970 Aura. Johan45 has taken it cold, so I have faith in the power section handling solitaire and virtual jigsaw puzzles. LOL

I am using a MCP655 variable speed, which has been replaced by Swiftech with the MCP655-PWM-oem. It's been a great pump and has run strong for many years. The PWM feature seems to be a nice addition on the newer model.
I use 7/16x5/8 tubing which is a giant pita to get on the 1/2 fittings, but I've never had any leak issues with it.
I'm not sure who the original Manufacture was of the D5/MCP655 but there are many different version with as many different names. They all are good :thup: I call all of mine MCP655 as that was the first one I got. I now own 6 and they are all still going strong.
The smallest you want to go is 3/8 ID x 1/2 OD, this is also easier to put on and can be picked up at a hardware store.
It has a side panel mount. It also has an adjustable mount to hang one on the 3.5" drive cages, which can be aimed. It's a NZXT Phantom 410. The only time it will ever see full speed is during boot or file transfers. I'm not looking to take it to the ragged edge, just something a little special. She indulges my interests when I buy toys, so it would be nice to include her. :D

edit: Almost forgot. Mobo is a Asus 970 Aura. Johan45 has taken it cold, so I have faith in the power section handling solitaire and virtual jigsaw puzzles. LOL

^ I do too but you are increase the power on the CPU. At the minimum, use the stock fan from the AMD CPU cooler to blow air over the VRM section :) To get the speed you want, you will be disabling the CPU Down clocking. Even though you do not have a load placed on the CPU, IT will still be running @ 4.5 - 4.6 and @ 1.50+ on power.

All the power saving stuff will be turned on. It will hit 4400 MHz now, but usually runs 1400-1800 MHz. Voltage drops, too, but I forget the numbers ATM.

That'll help a lot with your motherboard cooling requirements. I have C&Q disabled (and assume everyone else does too) so you can see why I would be concerned.

A simple D5 should be nice. They are quieter then their counterpart DDC pumps. DDC pumps have a bit more head pressure but the D5 is strong enough as there shouldn't be an issue there.

This might seem irrelevant atm but if you ever decide to go bunkers down the road and say, grab a Aquaero controller, the AQ only works with intel spec PWM pumps. So the MCP35x or a EK D5 G2 (Must be a G2 for Generation 2) pump would work. So I would just recommend the EK D5 G2 just for future proofing in cases you catch the 'bug'. ;)

A simple D5 should be nice. They are quieter then their counterpart DDC pumps. DDC pumps have a bit more head pressure but the D5 is strong enough as there shouldn't be an issue there.

This might seem irrelevant atm but if you ever decide to go bunkers down the road and say, grab a Aquaero controller, the AQ only works with intel spec PWM pumps. So the MCP35x or a EK D5 G2 (Must be a G2 for Generation 2) pump would work. So I would just recommend the EK D5 G2 just for future proofing in cases you catch the 'bug'. ;)

The rig this is going in isn't going to be a crazy build. The crazy one will be my benching rig (eventually). I already have the reservoir coming, and it's for a D5 pump so that part of the decision is made. I'm looking for stuff like brand and model experience from the experts here. :D And that's good stuff. It seems everybody makes their own D5, and they're pricey little aquarium pumps, so reliable and long lived are next on the priority list. It's going in this http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-d5-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html

The rig this is going in isn't going to be a crazy build. The crazy one will be my benching rig (eventually). I already have the reservoir coming, and it's for a D5 pump so that part of the decision is made. I'm looking for stuff like brand and model experience from the experts here. :D And that's good stuff. It seems everybody makes their own D5, and they're pricey little aquarium pumps, so reliable and long lived are next on the priority list. It's going in this http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-d5-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html

The D5 pumps are mainly from Laing or Xylem (EK) and just rebranded. Same thing with DDC pumps.

Not finding any D5s from Swiftech on their site. I honestly would either recommend the EK D5 G2 PWM or Aquacomputer's D5 PWM. I wouldn't go with Alphacool's D5 (VPPs) since they seem to have issues for some reason.

Almost forgot, if you're purchasing from PPCS, try promo code "OCN55" for 5.5% off your order as long as you're spending $50 at a minimum for it to work.

Not finding any D5s from Swiftech on their site.

This? http://www.performance-pcs.com/swif...5-pump-module-pwm-enabled-single-version.html Their website is annoying, as they have every category except "pumps" in their menus. LOL

I definitely spent more than $50 there yesterday. LOL I'll remember that next month, though. Still have a waterblock, pump, 240 rad, 1/2"x3/4" tubing, fittings, anti kink coils, and pre mix to buy. Oh, and fans, gotta get fans. I also have to work out a drain and bleeder. I got the reservoir and cable extensions (blue) so far.

My girlfriend is a veteran, so we're going with a blue rad from Black Ice, white tubing and fittings with red anti kink coils, and white fans.

Found this on the 'egg. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5989&cm_re=D5_pump-_-2YM-000P-00007-_-Product

D5s, much like the ddc are all more or less the same and just rebranded from Laing. There are some changes that got made over the years to them, PWM models and so on. You may find an odd ball one here in there.
But if you look at it form a band name point of view there is not much if any differences from one band to the next. You really can't go wrong with any of the D5s. I used countless d5s in builds and the only time I had problems was when mounting them on there back.

Also
http://www.performance-pcs.com/pumps

Id go with the Swiftech you linked. This is not the case so much today. But in the past just about everything from Swiftech was ether made or designed in the USA. I think that would go well with your red white and blue theme. Even if the pump is from china... Kind of said to see them selling out now.

Last edited:
sidewinder.com is a good place to price check. frozen cpu is a good place to price check tops and bay res, not so much for pumps/shipping. amazon seems to be dominated by titan rigs gear- whos prices suck for the most part. shipping can be hit or miss w/amazon. modmymods.com has some solid pricing but sucky shipping for the most part(website is niiice). ppcs and newegg youve seen the pros and cons. i cant stand ppcs website set up either lol.
lowara and laing are divisions of xylem who is a subsidiary of ITT. google some of that and youll turn your head inside out hahaha.
if its SOLD by a trusted company like swiftech, EK, alphacool(like Jack said, NOT the vpp series), xspc, koolance or has a lowara,laing or xylem sticker on its backside it should be golden. warranties are usually the same for all.
the made in china d5s are lowara built- by barrow in china- for swiftech, some EK, as well as barrow and others. so there you go. all the info ive managed to dig up about d5 and ddc pump origins.
enjoy the new builds!

I found the D5s on Swiftech's site. I guess I completely missed it not long before I head to bed. Probably the worst time to look for things. :screwy:

If you go PWM, try sticking with the newer revisioned D5s like from Aquacomputer and EK's G2 I had posted. Not sure what the rev. 2 D5 is all about from Swiftech. Don't know if the PWM standard was changed to Intels or not, like the other two I had linked. If you stick with voltage controlled or dial, well then you wouldn't need to worry about PWM other than where the power source is coming from and how you will go about controlling them.

The difference in D5s honestly are in their tops. Only a few are actually 'suped' up in their internals to pump more power for flow, etc. but they will get louder and warmer. They either come with their original tops which most do or some reputed companies own designed top. Some tops can make a difference on flow. For example, Swiftech DDC MCP35X top is one of the best designed tops out there.

Not sure if I missed it but what reservoir are you using with this D5? Standalone or D5/res combo style? Where you install the D5 onto.

Last edited:
It's going in a Monsoon Dual Bay res. http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-d5-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html Since the case is a mid tower, we're trying to avoid it looking like a blivet and the pump/res combo in the open ODD bays seemed the best solution. The large tubing and double bay res are so (my thinking, anyway) I can keep large quantities of coolant moving at slower (and quieter) pump speeds. I'm hoping that with the minimalist setup I can assemble, bleed, and leak test outside the rig, then install it as one unit like a big AIO.

As a side note, hasn't Frozen had some major problems recently? Beside being an obnoxious Disney franchise, I mean. LOL

Last edited:
It's going in a Monsoon Dual Bay res. http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-d5-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html Since the case is a mid tower, we're trying to avoid it looking like a blivet and the pump/res combo in the open ODD bays seemed the best solution. The large tubing and double bay res are so (my thinking, anyway) I can keep large quantities of coolant moving at slower (and quieter) pump speeds. I'm hoping that with the minimalist setup I can assemble, bleed, and leak test outside the rig, then install it as one unit like a big AIO.

As a side note, hasn't Frozen had some major problems recently? Beside being an obnoxious Disney franchise, I mean. LOL

^ I don't know the current statues of FrozenCPU. About 2 years ago they had completely closed shop. I have since taken my business to PPC.
If no one has mentioned yet or you are not sure, STAY AWAY FROM DYED COOLANT. This will clog the internals of the water blocks.
You would have to ask around as I have been unable to safely disassemble a D5. (Afraid to break it)
They make a replacement body for the D5 in multiple colors and a replacement PWM knob. http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-mmrs-d5-pump-cover-red.html

Yeah, I'm not using dyes. White tubing, LED reservoir. The pump cover comes with the reservoir, so all I need is the bare pump body. I spent all that money on the res, so I'll save it (sort of) on the pump. I think the worst part will be figuring out the radiator orientation so I can keep the tubing runs neat. LOL

don't do that monsoon reservoir, I have had to rma mine twice so far for the led's taking a crap.
3/8 id hose is all you need, it matches the thread size.

Back