• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remap Shared Docs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tiggerr77

Registered
I've Googled this many different ways, and can't find an answer. :bang head Maybe that means it can't be done, but I'm asking anyways. I have a WD Raptor as my primary drive (OS, programs, etc). I also have 2 Seagate 120GB SATA drives set up in a RAID 0 for storage. I've remapped the My Documents folders for my profile and my wife's profile to the storage drive. I am trying to figure out how to remap the Shared Documents folder to this drive as well. Anyone know how to do this?

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | User Shell Folders

In the RH pane, right click the Common Documents String value and select "Modify" | The default value is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents | Change the value to the redirected folder, say D:\SharedDocs.

To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along with Shared Documents, try this...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | User Shell Folders

In the RH pane: (these are String values)
- Create a REG SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
- Create a REG SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
- Create a REG SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path

No space in between these words...CommonVideo, CommonMusic, and CommonVideo. One space in between Common Documents. Log off and log back in to check and make sure the Shared folders have been redirected successfully.

Edit: You could also script the change with e.g. VBScript. Below is a script that does this (paste it into Notepad and save with a .vbs extension)...
Code:
' Change to the correct path here 
sMyPath = "U:\Something" 

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\" _ 
   & "Explorer\Shell Folders\Common Documents", sMyPath, "REG_SZ" 

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\" _ 
   & "Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common Documents", sMyPath, "REG_EXPAND_SZ" 

WScript.Echo "Finished, please log off and on to see the change"

Last edited:
Back