• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 865pe major heat problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thumper34

Registered
I have been having a heat problem since I bought the computer. Lately I have been pushing the oc lately so I decided to first fix the heat problem b4 any trouble. Right now I am running the default bios settings. Stock 200fsb, 3-3-3-8 timing, stock voltage. Vcore 1.550v, dram 2.5v, agp 1.5v After 5 mintues of prime95 tortue test it is at 56 degrees, and at idle its at 37. I have a thermaltake case with 4 case fans. Two intake, two exhaust. One intake blowing directly into the cpu fan. The cpu fan is a squirel type coolermaster. I just redid all my wires and my as5 on the cpu and motherboard heat sink. I have a thermaltake 420w psu that has an exhaust fan built in it. I have updated to the latest bios version 2.5 What do you think could be causing my heat problems? Thanks for you input.

I have the LS w/2.8 northwood and my temps are 33c on a hot day and 28c on a cool day. The system board is 32c on a hot day and 30c on a cool day. My load temps never get above 50c. I have the zalman copper heat sink.

Walt

I don't know thumper ( you are sure its a northwood right ?)

If you are not having any problems I would not worry about it as the temp senders in these boards are not that accurate
Also MSI has had a lot of problems with the bios reporting the correct temps . That is why they put out so many releases in such a short period of time

It seems that once they get it calibrated for a prescott they mess up the northwood readings . they then release another and get the northwood readings correct and the Prescotts are not correct ( you can read about this over at the MSI forums )

BIOS 1.9 is the favorite over at the MSI forums for being the most stable and reporting the most accurate temps with a northwood .

Bios 2.1 is the favorite for a prescott

I stopped worring about my temps a long time ago , they are in the range that it should be running at so I just use them now as a barometer to see if something is wrong . IE - I know it idles at 42C and runs under a slight load at 46C to 48C and 54C under a heavy load . Just last month I noticed that it was running hotter so I pulled my side cover off and lo and behold I found a great big Dust Ball on my HSF unit :bang head

If it were mine I would just run it for a while see how stable it is and if it does not hit 58C under a load I would not worry

Another favorite of the MSI group is Speed Fan . If you want to try it let me know and I will send you the instuctions on how to set it up

Dave

Back