• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future of xp pro X-64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I was just wondering about the future of 64-bit windows XP. I have like 20 copies of it but no real use. At this point in time there is really no reason to install it. Is there going to be any reason to install before Vista comes out? When vista comes out, will x64 windows XP pro be really compatible with it? It would be a shame to throw out pristine disks. (I wouldn't do that, but there is nothing else to do with them). If xp 64 doesn't net me anything and may not even be as good as the 32 bit xp pro, is there anything going for it before vista or during vista?

I don't use any 64 bit programs so my copy is still in the wrapper. Hopefully when Vista comes out there will be more apps and games that take advantage of 64.

I really dont think there will every be a use for it but alot of people like xp so they will probebly stay with xp64 instead of moving to vista. Me Iam getting vista as soon as its ready I have looked at XP long enough.

Ok. I don't like all this crap that it seems vista will try to pull, so I'll save all these copies of XP 64 untill then.

The problem I see with XP64 is that it is ending up as a stepchild much like ME did. Microsoft is not going to put a lot of their resources into making it better but are focusing on Vista.

The vendors aren't going to bother writing good 64bit drivers for XP64 when Vista is just around the corner.

If I see an SP1 release for XP64 with better driver support, then I'll be interested.

If the DRM restrictions in Vista aren't as bad as rumored, I might be interested. Otherwise I'll stay with XP.

Back