• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelranger

I keep getting this errort.
It happens frequently.
Upon reboot, this is what additional information I get:
BCCode : a BCP1 : 00000054 BCP2 : 0000001C BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 804E1630 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I have the minidmp (cant open) and sysdata.xml Dont know what to look for.
I have read all of Microsofts articles and nothing has fixed this.
This came out of the blue!
All my drivers are upto date. All windows software is upto date.
I have also gotten random errors of other nature. But this is most often.
I have ran Memtest and even replaced memory and still happens. I also just added a new (exact same) Motherboard????
I have not added anything new in several months.

I use Lightwave and have a dongle... sentenital driver

I want to add that I could be doing anything.....
Running aps include
Zone Alarm
and most standard services. Nothing unique!

Before assuming you have a hardware problem and replacing your mobo and memory, i would have reformatted and reinstalled windows.

Ok my initial MB was fried. I had no choice but to get another. In the meantime I tried all other components elsewhere and all checked out fine. I will try reformating. I also believe it has to be an OS issue. I know its not heat because my sys temps are at 33 idle and 39 under load.
Bios is 28

This is a piece of advice I received at experts exchange...
Others are saying Bios????

This is hardware error.

BCCode : a BCP1 : 00000054 BCP2 : 0000001C BCP3 : 00000001 BCP4 : 804E1630

BCP2 is the IRQL. IRQL x'1c' is timer IRQL. It implies it is hardware error. Most probably it is faulty CPU or RAM. According to my record. I have 14 confirmed case of system crash x'1c', 6 is CPU, 5 is RAM. 2 is M/B and 1 overheat.

Refer the following case and they are all crashed at IRQL x'1c'
CPU http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21306911.html
CPU http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_21361736.html
CPU http://www.experts-exchange.com/Ope...245.html?query=bugcheck+0x0000000a&topics=231
RAM http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_21419604.html
M/B http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21222403.html

Could this be my memory timing?.
They are controlled by SPD and at the standard (out of the box) settings?

Here are my IRQs
04 : Communications Port (COM1)
06 : Standard floppy disk controller
08 : System CMOS/real time clock
09 : Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
0E : Primary IDE Channel
0F : Secondary IDE Channel
10 : RADEON X850 Series
10 : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
10 : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
12 : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection #3
12 : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
12 : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
12 : Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
13 : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
13 : Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
15 : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
16 : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
17 : Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Have you even tried to reformat yet? Use memtest if you suspect a RAM problem. I doubt it's the CPU failure. I still say driver/software/OS problems.

Sometimes i get an error that looks just like that when i try to push my OC too far. A few times ive traced it to a thread stop error in the video card (caused by PCIe freq being too high), other times its been a RAM problem from running too high over stock. Ive even had thread stop problems from screwy modified video drivers and modified BIOSes.

My point is, that a lot of times these errors codes are pretty generalized and could be due to any number of hardware or software problems. You should start with reinstalling drivers for your chipsets (including USB & Firewire), updating your BIOS, reverting back to a previously stable video driver, and then if the problem persists, reformat and reinstall windows.

Then, if you STILL have the problem, we at least know beyond any reasonable doubt that it is a hardware problem. If you get to that point, you should try other components starting with your video card, then RAM, and if you have a spare, test another CPU.

EDIT: I didnt think of this earlier, but it could be virus related. This could be a likely cause, since you said that your problem came out of the blue. If it is a hardware problem, maybe with memory timings, I dont think the problem would just show up one day. Most hardware problems are persistent from the day you got it running, with the exception of harddrives and capacitors.

So look at your video card and motherboard's caps (cylinder looking things) and if you see any of them that look like they are leaking or are slightly pushed out on the end, then you know that the cap is bad. Example

Last edited:
Ive run Memtest and all checks out well. I ran prime and all checked out ok. No errors on any test. I ran throttle watch while prime was running and no throttling.
Since this is a new MB replacement I rule out the MB (all caps look fine I did check). FYI, the reason I replaced my MB is because I broke the SATA connector while cleaning.

The CPU and Mem, Sound card and video card works fine in other systems. I will reformat again if I don't resolve this soon. Almost there!!!!
My suspicion is that I need to reinstall drivers as Haz mentioned. The sound card has a built in Firewaire port I have suspicion about it. I reinstalled all Scard drivers and updated them.
I also must mention there was a time that when ever I unplugged a USB device, the system would crash. So I'm thinking USB issues. or something in my drivers.
I run Lightwave 8 and Maya 7 both have dongles. I removed the dongles and worked without them and still crashed.
It happens about once per day or two at the most.
Still I am baffled. Like I said I read all of MS articles on this error and have tried all that they suggest.
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

I also know that some have had problems with the ATI drivers. I have tried several. I have not tried the Omega drivers yet....
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Last edited:
Ended up changing to Omega drivers...Cleaned out all refs to ATI drivers with driver cleaner. This seemed to be very effective.
I then looked closely at the Bios and upped my PCI latency from 64 to 128. performed a few other tweaks... Once I did this my Floppy appeared! I had never noticed it missing!!! ( need more info on this setting)

Then oddly my logitech wireless KB and mouse were not XP Pro friendly (no Xp PRO support). Changed them and got rid of all restore points, temp files and did a real deep cleaning of all software. One thing to note is I re-installed the original drivers from my Abit disk also.

Everything is back to normal.

What does that do???
Nothing happens when I executed it????

Last edited:
According to my commmand prompt the /D switch: "Restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty."

I see,
I'll investigate.

Does it work on Win XP Pro?
Again when I type it nothing happens even when restarting..

Back