• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apparently I have sound problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telexen

I normally install my sound in Gentoo by just compiling ALSA and my sound driver as a module, then using alsaconf finalize it.

But I've installed Quake4 and Doom3 and they both have sound problems (yeah it could be problems with the game, but I've had them both working fine in a past installation) ... but music, videos, and UT2004 all work fine.

I decided I could not compile the driver in the kernel (and just compile sound support)...then emerge alsa-drivers. I did that with versions 1.0.9 and 1.0.10, but when I try to start alsa I get this error:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore
/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore/s
nd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/
pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see
 dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/pci/
snd-intel8x0.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm  [ !! ]
 *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_device (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/
acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (se
e dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore/s
eq/snd-seq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore
/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm
esg)                                                                      [ !! ]
 *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/a
core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see 
dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore/s
nd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore
/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (se  [ !! ]
 *   Loading: snd-mixer-oss ...
FATAL: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/aco
re/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm
esg)                                                                      [ !! ]
 *   Loading: snd-seq ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_device (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/
acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (se
e dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq (/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo/alsa-driver/acore/seq
/snd-seq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)  [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...                                             [ ok ]

I've even tried using the nforce-audio ebuild...but that just makes a complete mess out of everything

So does anyone know what's causing this problem?

What steps do everyone else with nForce2 audio take to get alsa up? The system is listed in my sig.

Mine worked pretty much out of the box. I just enabled the driver in the kernel config as a module, built it, and ran alsaconf.

What version of udev are you using? I actually did it the way MRD is talking about for a while, but after a rather large update a week ago it all broke with the same errors you are getting. There's a thread in the multimedia section of the Gentoo forums with similar issues. A few people fixed theirs by reverting back to a lower version of udev. For some reason that didn't work for me though and I had to recompile it all into the kernel. Thankfully my kernel uses a rather recent version of ALSA.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-400088.html

Using the alsa-drivers package is a BAD idea with a 2.6 kernel, the package is only there for people still on 2.4 kernels. It's always a good idea to compile stuff into the kernel and use modules as little as possible.
Assuming you're on an nForce2 board, you need the following in kernel config:
Code:
Device Drivers
>Sound
>><*> Sound card support
>>Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
>>><*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
>>><*>   Sequencer support
>>>< >     Sequencer dummy client
>>><*>   OSS Mixer API
>>><*>   OSS PCM (digital audio) API
>>>[*]   OSS Sequencer API
>>>< >   RTC Timer support (you can probably enable this if you want, but it's not on my system)
>>>PCI Devices
>>>><*> Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller
Then, in /etc/modules.d/alsa:
Code:
# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v 1.4 2004/11/16 01:31:22 eradicator Exp $

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
Then you'll want to
Code:
emerge alsa-oss alsa-utils
rc-update add alsasound default
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart

SatanSkin said:
What version of udev are you using? I actually did it the way MRD is talking about for a while, but after a rather large update a week ago it all broke with the same errors you are getting. There's a thread in the multimedia section of the Gentoo forums with similar issues. A few people fixed theirs by reverting back to a lower version of udev. For some reason that didn't work for me though and I had to recompile it all into the kernel. Thankfully my kernel uses a rather recent version of ALSA.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-400088.html

Code:
telexen # emerge -p udev

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-fs/udev-070-r1

Which version would you suggest? Or, if you can find it, you could provide a link to that thread in the Gentoo forums (I'm sure I missed it) :)

petteyg359 said:
Using the alsa-drivers package is a BAD idea with a 2.6 kernel, the package is only there for people still on 2.4 kernels. It's always a good idea to compile stuff into the kernel and use modules as little as possible.

Good to know. I'll retry with that configuration. I've tried with it all built into the kernel before, and it produced the same result. Is it a good or a bad idea to have ALSA_CARDS in my make.conf with that setup?

Thanks guys.

I agree with petteyg. Compiling stuff into the kernel is generally a better idea.

As for udev, that was one of the suggested versions to use. 073 is the one that broke stuff. The link is at the bottom of that previous post and is even in your quote of my post ;)

Hmm interesting, I'll make sure not to upgrade. =p

Normally I compile everything into the kernel. In the case of ALSA, it is not recommended generally, as you cannot use alsaconf.

udev-070-r1 is the latest x86 package (and it works just fine for me). If you're getting a newer version than that, you've got ~x86 or -x86 in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.

alsaconf is a tool for wimps :p All you have to edit in /etc/modules.d/alsa is usually a single word, and that is the module/driver for your soundcard (snd-intel8x0 for nForce2).

SatanSkin said:
I agree with petteyg. Compiling stuff into the kernel is generally a better idea.

As for udev, that was one of the suggested versions to use. 073 is the one that broke stuff. The link is at the bottom of that previous post and is even in your quote of my post ;)

haha I am blind... :)

Alright, here's the steps I took:

1. unmerged anything related to alsa (alsa-lib, alsa-headers, alsa-utils, alsamixergui, etc)
2. I deleted any config/module files for alsa (/etc/conf.d/alsasound, /etc/modules.d/alsa)
3. I recompiled my kernel with all the above listed options enabled
4. rebooted
5. emerged alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-oss, and alsamixergui
6. started alsa

I'm still left with bad sound in Quake IV and Doom3 though. I guess I'll mess with different versions of udev later and read that thread.

Oh! One other thing I completely forgot...

is a .asoundrc file going to make any difference to this setup?

Back