• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im taking my hat off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm pretty sure in another recent thread they said you would need more pressure than you could get from simply putting on a water block to crush the CPU. Have fun with your new hw, and post pics! :)

just take it slowly when tightning and apply pressure evenly(to avoid crushing corner) and all will be fine...do it also with your mobo horizontal you will have an easier time if you don't have to fight gravity on top of everything else.

and get us pics...

FWIW I've take the lid off of 3 CPU's. 1 3700+ 754, 1 3400+ 754 and 1 3000 754. I won't be taking the lid off of any more CPU's.

The temps are about 2-4C lower under load with the TDX.

The TDX can not and will not put enough pressure over the core side to side 90 deg from the screw/mounts. The TDX rocks on the CPU causing hot spots from poor contact. This happened on the 3400+ and the 3700+ for me. The cores are not flat.

The lid protects the core and does so very well.

The TDX hits the cam box in most conditions.

The resell value of your CPUs will tank. You'll just about have to give it away.

If you ever try to make a sandwich back out of the lid and CPU, ALL of the epoxy material must be removed from the CPU and the lid.

If you want better temps, get a MCW6000 or 6002. The Swiftech was about 20% better for me over all then the TDX. I hated the TDX 64.

Now that the Apogee is out the Storm prices have dropped almost $20, I bought a Storm.

I've had a MCW6000 in for about 6 months now. My Idle to load temp difference is 10c on a FX-53 Clawhammer. Idles 28-30c full load after 6-8 hours 38-40c. This is with a BIX3.

The TDX was about 14-16c idle to load I think. It might have been 16-18c difference.

I actually cracked some of the components off the top of the 3700+ using a XP90 cooler trying to keep the lid inbetween the CPU and HSF. It still works and passes prime so I got lucky. But removing the lid only got 25mhz more overclock if that. It was NOT worth it just to look at lower temps. At the time the 3700+ was a $400 CPU. I couldn't get $100 for it now with the top components cracked off.

Back