• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I'm looking to buy some used rims on a car forum, and the particular member hasn't been there long but has ebay feedback and such. I wanted an extra layer of security, something more than just sending him money in the mail so I thought of paypal. I've only used paypal for ebay related things, but if I paypaled him a few hundred for a private deal and it went bad, would paypal do anything about it or would I just be screwed?

Thanks.

If you use a credit card through Paypal, you'd have the option of cancelling the payment if things went sour.

I have a similar question. I'm thinking of buying a laptop and the seller said he is setup to receive paypal credit-card payment, my question is I'm not quite sure how to do that.

In the past, ALL my paypal transactions have come directly from my checking account. In Paypal -> Profile -> Bank Account my checking account is listed and is "primary and confirmed".

However, also in Paypal -> Profile -> Credit Cards it has my credit card listed first, as "Primary" (this is the one I want to use) and then my 2nd credit/debit card which is linked to the checking account.

So Even though my credit card (which is NOT the one linked to my bank account) is marked primary, Paypal in the past has still just withdrawn from my checking account.

How do I fix this, or is there a safer way of completing this transaction?

Thank you for your time and help.

when your just about to pay for the item at the end, there should be a section called Source of Funds, just click on more funding option and you should be able to pick how you want to pay. that is usually how i do it when i want to pay with my cc.

here paypal explains it better.
Click the More Funding Options link under the Source of Funds heading.
Select the Credit Card radio button.
Click Continue.
Review the information and click Send Money to complete your transaction.

primary means that's your primary credit card incase you want to pay with credit card not your primary way of paying with paypal.

Last edited:
Paypal has a "Buyer Protection" thing that you can purchase for an additional cost, kind of like insurance.

I know that if you don't use a CC and the deal goes bad and Paypal is unable to recover funds then you will get nothing back but with buyer protection you will get your money back regardless. At least I think that is how it works.

S_Wilson said:
Paypal has a "Buyer Protection" thing that you can purchase for an additional cost, kind of like insurance.

I know that if you don't use a CC and the deal goes bad and Paypal is unable to recover funds then you will get nothing back but with buyer protection you will get your money back regardless. At least I think that is how it works.

Paypal offers free buyers protection, but there is a criteria for Ebay members to have this free Paypal buyers protection, new sellers do not have it and the Ebay members feedback must be higher than 98%.

Bottom line is this, if its a high dollar amount, make sure the Ebay seller has this in his listing, it will be on the right side of the page:

Attachments

• pp copy.jpg
    pp copy.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 40
Silversinksam said:
Paypal offers free buyers protection, but there is a criteria for Ebay members to have this free Paypal buyers protection, new sellers do not have it and the Ebay members feedback must be higher than 98%.

Bottom line is this, if its a high dollar amount, make sure the Ebay seller has this in his listing, it will be on the right side of the page:

I don't know much about the Ebay side of things, I have had an account since '99 but have only used it only 4 or 5 times, lol. Paypal I have used quite a bit more.

I incorrectly used the term "Buyer Protection" for Paypal's additional cost protection plan. It is called "Money Back Guarantee" and has requirements that have to be met for it to be available.

Back