• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*@#&! NTLDR is missing error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athlon Mark

My newby ignorance is apparently showing, and I really could use some help...

I had three used hard drives (from 3 different manufacturers) lying around and decided to use one for a Windows 2000 build-up. Thinking I was doing things the easy way, I installed each one as a slave to my existing Windows XP system and formatted it. But when I try to use them, I get the "NTLDR is missing" error.

So next I downloaded the appropriate manufacturer's software from Samsung, Maxtor, and Seagate. All three drives check out as OK. :shrug:

I have been on the internet for a week now Googling this error and trying to fix it. So far I have:

1. Swapped drives a bazillion times
2. Swapped IDE cables
3. Checked and double checked my jumpers
4. Checked bios looking for anything related to hard drive recognition
5. Downloaded all sorts of "this'll fix it" software from the internet

I know with 100% certainty that at least one of the drives is good because I yanked it out of a working machine with Windows XP operating on it. Most of the garbage I pulled from Google relates to drives that have an operating system installed, and gives various fixes. I can't even get Windows 2000 installed!!!

If anyone has any idea how I can fix this disaster, please share. Otherwise, I'm going to have to junk three good drives and go buy another new one.

No dual boot----just want to install Windows 2000.

No floppy in the drive.

Yanked the battery to reset CMOS. Set BIOS to safe configuration.

Any more help?

OK...finally got something to work.

Took a Windows ME boot disk and used the setup to install Windows 98SE. The setup feature wouldn't/couldn't recognize Windows 2000 disk for some bizarre reason. Anyway, after successfully installing 98, I upgraded with the Windows 2000 Professional disk. :clap:

Now another problem.....

I installed on a 10GB disk (only because it was smaller and re-formatted quicker). I used MaxBlast to clone the 10GB onto the 40GB drive I want to keep installed. My problem is that one of my earlier disasters was copying the 2000 disk onto the 40GB drive to try and force it to recognize.

The 40GB drive starts fine now...however I get a window asking which operating system I want to use and shows two Windows 2000 options. One is real and works perfectly, one is apparently the copied disk and will not function, showing an error when clicked on.

I re-installed the 40GB as a slave and deleted everything, re-formatted, and used MaxBlast to clone the Windows 2000 from the 10GB disk again. But the problem with the two Windows 2000 operating systems continues. Apparently the survived my cleansing(?) :bang head

What the heck is going on?!?

Back