• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have you tried the new aim yet?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

it comes bundled with some extra crap, so pay attention during the install. the only thing that is making me frustrated is finding out how to make a link in my profile without showing the whole address. I'll hand it to them it looks nice, seems pretty cool, but if i can't figure out this one thing i am going back.

http://www.aim.com/

oh just found it!, all you have to do is right click.

Last edited:
I didn't do it because of all the unneeded crap that goes along with it. I have switched to Trillian and it works very nicely. No extra crap either.

I have heard it is very nice though, and all my non-tech friends seem to like it.

I use ad hack as well.

I installed the beta for the new AIM on one of my PC's a while ago, to test it out, and it constantly used 100% of the processor, and about 80MB of ram. I suppose they fixed that somewhat, but I'd still use classic AIM.

just use peerguardian. burns more than just the people who sends ads to aim. I am really liking this now, BTW. very well done program.

things i hate about it
-links in peoples profile ONLY open in the bundled AOL explorer (links sent in messages open in your default browser)
-i get a red X in the bottom right side of all message boxes
-the animated smilies look evil

things i like
-away messages are done inside the buddy list window
-file transfer is a tab in the conversation window

veryhumid said:
just use peerguardian. burns more than just the people who sends ads to aim. I am really liking this now, BTW. very well done program.

Peerguardian 2 is a fantastic program. I used it when it was the original version, but they've done alot to streamline and improve it. I use aim ad hack for AIM 5.9x as well. I refuse to use Triton, and I don't really like GAIM, so it works for me.

im still on 5.9 --the crap on that and all the ads are bad enough.
at least its thin, stable and has most of the features i want.

i tried triton and it made me homicidal! all the force-crap-software-on-you...
man they can keep it. slow and heavy and a hog too!

i tried the GAIM 2.0 beta, and its worse than the old version by far.
lots of sound and fury for nothing. im still holding out hope that the 2.0 Final is much much better, but thats yet to be seen.

aim 5.5.xxxx right here with the aimutation mod.
aim is skinned, no ads, logs, aliased, tabs, and wut not. Its light and fast.

triton just sucked.

and btw.. trillian isn't very light. its still quite complex and takes forever to load in comparison with my modded aim.

grumperfish said:
Peerguardian 2 is a fantastic program. I used it when it was the original version, but they've done alot to streamline and improve it. I use aim ad hack for AIM 5.9x as well. I refuse to use Triton, and I don't really like GAIM, so it works for me.

the original version was pretty crappy. it used VB and didn't black at the driver level. also only used to block TCP, now it's great. another option is protowall for blocking crap.

I have the new AIM Triton installed. It isn't that bad, once you set the preferences to not load anything when you start it. I took off the stupid "AIM Today" window thing, and uninstalled all the crap that came with it. Now it is just like the other AIM, however, for the most-part, I use Gaim when talking to people.

mage_x said:
the new aim is horrible.
Agreed. Trillian is better than a "modded" aim, considering there are people out there who use yahoo, msn, and icq. Streamlining all those into one app and still keeping it relatively light with a perfectly reasonable load time makes it the best aim alternative.

Back