• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surfrat's Water Build (Lots of Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
Well I finally gave up on air, and am trying a new water cooling Project. This is my first foray into H20, so it is a learning experience for me.

I decided to document each step of the project with pictures and information. Hope you enjoy.

The Stuff:

watersetup01.jpg

watersetup02.jpg

More to come :)

So I started with the layout for the radiator mounting. I decided to use a #6 threaded rod cut into (8) 3inch pieces. These will thread through the top of the case, slide down through the fan holes, and thread into the BIX2.

Pic of Rad and fans with the rods:

The Case:

watersetup08.jpg

Next I used a 114mm Lenox Hole Saw to cut two holes out for the 120mm fans that attach to the radiator. I used a #6 tap to actually tap the holes into the top of the case. This will make the threaded rods have to be actually screwed into the holes in the case, and will add more strength/security.

Like This:

The Case:

watersetup09.jpg

OK, while I had the case apart, I made another modification that I have been wanting to do for some time. You see the case is great, but it has a design flaw on the front bottom door. The only vents for the 120mm front fan to suck air from are very small and on the side of the door. With the door closed, it basically cuts off all air flow.

My solution, was to cut a 80mm hole and install a fan grill to match my side fans.

Here is the modded front panel now:

watersetup10.jpg

After smoothing rough edges and adding screw holes:

watersetup11.jpg

Amarkarian said:
looks good, how much was the watercooling supplies total?

If you dont count the tools I had to buy to mod the case, total price including the Apogee block was rigth about $300.00. The total cost of this project will be around $450.00. That includes tools and such, but not the price of the case. I had the case for about a year now.

Ok got the pump mounted. It is tucked in nicely and can not be seen from the side of the case.

watersetup13.jpg

watersetup14.jpg

Probably the rest will have to wait till tomorrow. Gettin late and kids need fed :)

i see london, i see france, i see who ever that person in that pic's underpants :p

really nice work. i cant drill for **** let alone drill with a hole saw. that is some nice work. cant wait til the final product

Ok this is really it for the night, my neck is killing me. This radiator was no fun to mount!!

watersetup16.jpg

watersetup17.jpg

watersetup15.jpg

Looks pretty good up there. My 3 inch rods were way to long, so once my grill for the top gets here, I will cut those down. I have learned that mounting the radiator this way really sucks!! ALthough now that it is done, it is deffinately up there good.

I have recently been told, that I can get #6 screws 2 inches in length, and theya re just long enough to keep it all tight and not hit the fins. I may try this, as it will look better on the top of the case. Hopefully my grill comes in tomorrow so I can finish that part up.

Last edited:
Looks very nice! You have the same setup as my except I am using 2 sanyo denki's on my rad.

bryan_d said:
Looks really clean,

Are the radiator fans going to be exhaust or intake?

Keep the pics coming!
Bryan d

They will be set for exhaust. I have plenty of intake, and I don't wanna be blowing hot air from the rad down into the case.

Well this project is gonna be on hold for a couple days. I decided that the Res was crap, and was going ot be an extreme Pain to fill when needed. Basically in order to fill it, i would have had to take out all of my dvd/cd drives. Not going ot happen.

I ordered a T-Line and a Fillport from DD. Since it is Friday, those won't make it until Monday.

I should however get my grill for the top of the case today or tomorrow, and will be able to finish up the BIX2 mounting. Will post those pics when I am done.

Back