• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I still use my old waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kbtat2

Hello everyone, I have a quick question for you.

I'm just now getting around to upgrading my CPU and I wondered if I could reuse my old waterblock. The block I have now is the Swiftech 6002 for a socket A and I wondered if it would work with an Opteron CPU?

The main reason I ask is because it is stepped to clear the plastic CPU mount that socket A's have.

I do realize I would have to get new retention hardware but other than that would it work?

Thanks, KBTat2

As long as you have the k-8 mounting bracket you should be fine. I have a question for you though- Does your block have any gaps in the solder on the base?

No. Why? does yours?

Now I just need to find a retention bracket for that block and CPU

EDIT: I was just looking for the retention bracket for the 939 CPU and they show them as having 2 screws that hold the bracket in place. My motherboard doesnt have any screw holes like that.
I've attached a pic from my phone so you can see what I have. I'm even more confused now.
CPUMount.jpg

Last edited:
My block does have gaps, so I am trying to RMA it. Never even used the damn thing.

My ASRock has the same problem. I am not sure, but my guess is that you have to remove the plastic bolts/pins and the black bracket around the cpu. Someone else can please confirm.

CreePinG_DeatH said:
My block does have gaps, so I am trying to RMA it. Never even used the damn thing.

My ASRock has the same problem. I am not sure, but my guess is that you have to remove the plastic bolts/pins and the black bracket around the cpu. Someone else can please confirm.
Bingo
Remove these and you are set.

cpumount5wb.jpg

Back