• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More "direct" way to install drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MNOB07

Registered
I have a Lexmark x83 All-in-one printer. I need to install it onto a Windows XP computer. However, whenever I try to, it will start by copying some files then will get to a screen that says "plug the USB into the computer and printer to continue" and waits for me to plug it in. I plug it in, with the printer on and ready. Upon connecting it the CPU usage will jump to 100%, and the window will flash quickly kmaking it very hard to do just about anything since the window will just flash back on top of everything (However I've tried and there are no other windows.) I've tried everything I could including different usb ports, updating usb drivers, but it doesn't help.

I don't want to admit it, but for the benefit of understanding what could be wrong, there is an "obtained" lite version of Windows XP Professional on this computer. I'm usually for that kind of stuff, but since this computer is so old it seemed to be the best way for me to bring life back to it. But anyway it's very probable that something has been removed from the xp installation that is making this problem surface.

I was hoping there would be a more direct way to install the drivers possibly by manually copying files myself. I would've asked Lexmark but I went to their site and can't find any help except by e-mail.

Try putting the cd in the drive but dont run the installer. Then connect the printer and when windows detects the printer, point the windows hardware wizard to the cd drive. This way windows will only copy the important files and not all of the other junk.

nope.. it says it can't find the necessary software. I tried both the cd's that came with it, and the expanded driver folder i downloaded.

Although I have been getting this screen a lot, both from when it searched for the driver and when I was installing it off the cd:

clipboard014cu.jpg

I don't know exactly what it means or if it could help diagnose this.. and there doesn't seem to be any difference in clicking "yes" or "no".

OK I got the drivers installed manually, but it's having problems communicating with the printer, did I miss something or does anyone have any idea what could've gone wrong?

i have an hp psc 2210 with a similar installation difficulty. Using the updated drivers from net always wants to stall on installation & it NEVER gives me the software. I have found that when it says "plug in" I may have to reinsert the usb to back of pc more than just the initial time. Printer should be off but plugged in when it says "plug in". THEN (turn it on-not plugin), if you have prob is when you unplug & then reinsert usb cable (it stalls at recognizing new usb devices). Works for me. That way I don't have to go through the rediculously tedious task of uninstalling & rebooting etc. There is only one executable that must run at startup on my pc for my printer to be recognized, & I use FSviewer to 'aquire' anything from the scanner.

Back