• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just thinking - Zalman Reserator with TEC - 2-loop cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuejo

Here's an idea (and my apologies if someone's already suggested this - I searched the forums and found nothing, though...)

I too, have lost the will to wildly overclock my system. The performance boost makes no real-life difference in what I use the computer for (anymore) and so I'm MUCH more interested in QUIET now, as opposed to top speed. (But i DO still appreciate bang-for-the-buck!) I think that Zalman has a very interesting concept in their Reserator - and I also recognize that this is oriented toward SILENCE more than PERFORMANCE.

But what if you want your cake and want to eat it too?

Well - how about a two-loop cooling system with a Peltier (TEC) sandwich in the middle?

Here's what i envision. Loop 1 has a water block on the CPU, quiet pump of your choice, and goes to a second water block attached to the COLD side of an appropriately rated TEC. A second water block (Loop 2) on the HOT side of the TEC then goes to the Reserator (via a pump of course - hot side or cool side? Or does it make a difference?). Two totally separate loops, comprised of three water blocks (or more if you're cooling your video card too), one peltier, two pumps, one Reserator.

I may try and build it, but will have to get some baseline data on my system with the Reserator alone first so that i can honestly evaluate the integrity of the idea. Anyone else want to try too? I'm certainly no engineer, and have never studied fluid or thermal mechanics beyond what I've learned here with you all, and I know that TEC's are inherently inefficient, and the more interfaces you place in a system, the more inefficiency you introduce to the ultimate function of the system. Does anyone with more know-how have any thoughts? I'm definitely open to critique here...

The Reserator isn't cheap, and I don't think it's the last word in performance by a LONG shot - but this idea has the disadvantages of MINIMAL noise (two pumps) and the additional radiated heat of the TEC. (I would note, that in a warm environment, or a small room without adequate airflow, that could be a SUBSTANTIAL disadvantage.) And, of course, the expense. But I'm interested to see just where those CPU and reserator temps would run...

Maybe I'm NOT done overclocking...

:shrug:

Reserator is not a good choice. Though silent, using a normal radiator with undervolted fans can be as silent as the Reserator, with a lot beter performance. If using Thermochil PA Series Radiators with Quiet Late Yoon Fans, it will yield High End Cooling performance at near noiselessness.

If I understand correctly, youre idea is using a TEC to cool Water in a circuit, while using another circuit to cool the hot side of the tech TEC.

Doing such adds an unecessary hindrence in cooling, the secondary loop can be completely avoided.

It is a lot more efficient to just place the TEC on the CPU,GPU core and the Waterblocks on top of that, using one Circuit only Rather than making two seperate loops. Cooling the TEC with a passive radiator such as the Reserator could work, but not as effectively and isn't advisable.

using a Radiator and Dead Silent Fan is Indeed :)

veryhumid said:
it's an interesting idea, but complicated. I would also recommend a radiator like a BIP or the swiftech QP and use it with very low speed 120mm fans.

here's something for you to drool over a bit: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCWCHILL-452.asp

Ok. I get the water block and running it from two seperate areas.. what the heck is that little cold tube for? It's only an outlet correct? Someone please explain this to me.. I'm very curious. But the price is "OUCH".

If you turn on the peltier before the pumps, the water in the first loop will freeze. You will also get condensaiton problems on the tubes and block of the first loop.

From what I understand, His idea is to Use TECs to cool the Water in one circuit. Then cool the TECs in another circuit.

Its kind of like having a normal watercooling setup, and cooling the Radiator by submerging it into a bucket of water, which is part of a different loop.

So in his idea, cool the Water (rather than the actual cpu, gpu) with TECs, and cool the TECs with different water.

Thats what I undestood, hope its right.

Zenjirou said:
Thats what I undestood, hope its right.

Yes i think thats what he wants - but the issues i posted would still be valid since cooling down water will always yield condensation or maybe even frost.

Yeah - I knew it was complicated, and may not be very functional.

You all have brought up some good points...

Freezing in the TEC circuit - (or at least condensation) - hadn't considered that. Very good point.

Underspeed fans are an EXCELLENT idea. Just need a big enough radiator, and adequate fans (I actually have these already - a surplus 4 core copper radiator that i bought out of some govt. surplus - wish they had had more than one!! It was $75 and a STEAL at that price!)

That Swiftech DOES have me drooling, and it's ALMOST the idea that i had here (they have added the common central cooling chamber). Think I might have to spend some more time surfing some of these guys product lists.

I definitely appreciate the feedback.

Jonathan

IIRC BillA worked or is working on the same type of project. Pretty sure it was him that briefly mentioned it in a random unrelated topic and said he'd post results in the future. Never saw any though :shrug:

Regardless, others have done this before. Its the same thing as a chilled water setup except using pelts+h2o instead of compressors+r134a.

Someone even made a radiator out of a huge block/tec/heatsink setup. So air cooling the pelts instead of watercooling. ----------edit doh this is Otter link from above edit--------------

Go to the search around for TEC wattage requirements and do some calculations. You'll probably need atleast 2 x 225w tecs at 12v to get any better temps than a normal watercooling loop. And don't forget the reserator can barely handle 150w... So its not feasible for this project. A couple of 120.3's in parrallel cooling the hot side of the TEC is a good idea though. Or better yet a Honda civic car radiator, the cheap all copper ones on ebay.

If your main goal is silence then forget the TECs and just get the largest radiator you can buy/fit.

If performance is your main goal then forget the TECs and build a real chiller. Get a 5000+ BTU window AC unit and look at what others have done.

If you really really realllly want to try this then you better post pics else I'm gonna find you and stab you in the foot. :santa:

Hehe!!

You bring another really good point, and that is how many watts the Reserator can handle. I haven't done any calculations yet, and of course, it depends to some extent on which processor, and if overclocked, by how much, and are you cooling your video card too (etc., etc., etc.) but it seems quite likely that by the time you figure out the wattage of the system, add in the wattage of the TEC's (figuring you're probably gonna need more than one!), and dumping all that heat in the Reserator - well, you could probably make a really nice cup of tea. For you and about half of the local DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution!)

Hmmm - SSOOOOOOOOO...

How about THIS - why don't i hook up TWO Reserators - parallel no less. Yeah, yeah - and I'll CHROME them - yeah!!

(Ok - maybe not - Mmm - and I like my feet, too, so I will keep the digital close at hand if I embark on this hairbrained project!!)

I should get you all a photo of this radiator anyways - I got it from a surplus place in Pasadena called C and H Surplus. Haven't been back there in a while, but if anyone lives close, they're on Colorado Blvd, and i think they have a web address too...

Jonathan

jamesavery22 said:
IIRC BillA worked or is working on the same type of project. Pretty sure it was him that briefly mentioned it in a random unrelated topic and said he'd post results in the future. Never saw any though :shrug:

Regardless, others have done this before. Its the same thing as a chilled water setup except using pelts+h2o instead of compressors+r134a.

Someone even made a radiator out of a huge block/tec/heatsink setup. So air cooling the pelts instead of watercooling. ----------edit doh this is Otter link from above edit--------------

Go to the search around for TEC wattage requirements and do some calculations. You'll probably need atleast 2 x 225w tecs at 12v to get any better temps than a normal watercooling loop. And don't forget the reserator can barely handle 150w... So its not feasible for this project. A couple of 120.3's in parrallel cooling the hot side of the TEC is a good idea though. Or better yet a Honda civic car radiator, the cheap all copper ones on ebay.

If your main goal is silence then forget the TECs and just get the largest radiator you can buy/fit.

If performance is your main goal then forget the TECs and build a real chiller. Get a 5000+ BTU window AC unit and look at what others have done.

If you really really realllly want to try this then you better post pics else I'm gonna find you and stab you in the foot. :santa:

Back