• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dont understand this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

The pentium 4 runs on a 400Mhz FSB right? And the FSb connects the memory, cpu, and AGP together right? So how is it possible to have 400mhz fsb when the agp runs at like 66mhz and the fastest stock memory not overclocked is a like 266mhz right? so how is that possible? what kind of ram is used?

the P4 is Dual Channel and runs 400mhz and 400mhz
you can kind of think of it as full duplex

it is a 100mhz bus Quad pumped(multiplexed)

4x 100 = 400, FSB granted your using pc800
4x 100 = 400 BSB
the P4 has a seperate bus, called the 'RAMBUS'

thats also the name of the memory used for the 850chipset

and the AGP and PCI use dividers to control there speed

the 266 you are referring to is slower

what DDR did was Dual pipelined the standard 133 bus

1 of the reasons Rambus is faster than DDR is because when you use single channel pipelining, whatever is sent must reach its destination before anything else is sent

with Rambus, since it is dual channel, multiple instructions can be sent at the same time

to be honest with you, both RAMBUS and DDR are not very inovative in my opinion

just wait for holo graphic memory

Last edited:
Why overclock your ram to 332 MHZ FSB? When the CPU can reach 266 so does the board... i dont understand this? whats the performance increase besides benchmarks??

What exactly are yoy wanting to know

you increase the FSB to make your comp perform faster

for the newer intels, thats the only thing you can do to overclock since the multiplier is locked

trey

Genoide said:
Why overclock your ram to 332 MHZ FSB? When the CPU can reach 266 so does the board... i dont understand this? whats the performance increase besides benchmarks??

welcome to the forum.... the reason I do it - becuase it CAN be done not becuase it MUST be done...

What multiplier settings do u suggest for a 1.4 Tbird cpu... right now i set it @ 133x12 what setting do u suggest to get a 1600mhz OC from 1.4 266FSB to 1.6

Back