• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atapi.sys strange error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

A friend of mine is having some problems with XP and atapi.sys.

She was trying to install a Mozilla update and accidentally killed the updater mid-process. Something crashed, and she now can't download Mozilla to reinstall it.
At 99%, it freezes, gives me a blue screen of death that says ... I think "inpage_data_kernel_error" (I can never remember the word order) and down below it specifies "atapi.sys"
She can download other things, just not Mozilla (could that folder have gotten a virus of some sort?).

Thats odd because I think atapi.sys is for controlling IDE devices?

If a version of Mozilla is installed I would uninstall it and delete out the Mozilla directories. Maybe do some registry cleanup and then run Windows update. Also update your antivirus software and run spybot.

I think you can rename atapi.sys to atapi.old in safe mode, reboot and Windows will reinstall it. Don't try this unless someone else here confirms it.

Back