• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apogee -> storm rev2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phrenetical

Quick question

Currently using a Swiftech Apogee WB on cpu with 478 mounting gear.

My new Storm rev 2 block arrived today and i was wondering if instead of pulling my whole PC apart again to remove apogee mounting, can i use the Storm on the apogee mounting screws?

Does anyone know if the mounting gear from the apogee is the same for the storm, im at work hence why i cant check it myself.

basically it means like pulling my pc completly apart to get MB out, id much rather just whack the storm onto the mounting gear already installed.

unfortunatly I am not sure about the answer to your question but I'm very curious what kind of temp differences you get when its all said and done.
Bump for you.

I believe the mounting holes are the same for both blocks, but you can always check by trying it to slide it over the screws....worst case it doesn't fit ;)

hope it fits else i might have to wait till weekend to set it all up.

Um, well temps i cant tell you to much about, im swapping the apogee for a storm, mcp220 for a bix gx2 220 and 3/8" tubing for 1/2" also removing swiftech microres and putting in t-line.

So i wont be able to tell you how the storm performs over the apogee,

soz..

I believe the bolts for storm are longer than for apogee. Apogee is less fatter than storm.

:( argh damit, found my answer hidden inside the installation guides for these two blocks.

Apogee mounting screws: 3f 91772A157-6-32x1.5 6-32 x 1 1/2" philips screw
Storm mounting screws: L 4 6-32X1.750 6-32 x 1 3-4" philips screw

The two important numbers are.

Apogee screws length : 1.5 - Width 1/2"
Strom screws length: 1.75 - width 3/4"

Most likely incompatible for hot switching blocks.

oh well looks like a long night. :(

They are the same bolts the length is just 1/4" different between them

If you read you see 6/32" which is the diameter of the screw by 1 1/2" or 1 3/4"

Unless for some reason that 1/4" is desperately needed you don't need to swap screws.

1 1/2" != length 1.5" width 1/2" think about that your car has 1/2" studs holding the tire on your WB has 1/2" fitting your mounting hardware is 6/32" in diameter.

ah k i get you. so an extra 1/4" inch

thats .6cm, thats actually a fair bit in terms of bolt length, i think QI is right that 1/4" is probably very necessary especially since these block use capped nuts, so its obviously measured very finely for tightness.

i might see just for kicks how the block mounts on the apogee bolts. Even if its shorter the only problem i see is if the nuts cant screw onto the bolts while the springs are fully pressured.

Half installed block last night, i spent 3 hrs seting up the new loop and components and ran out of time to attach to cpu and test.

Definently cant use the Apogee bolts, to short, much to short.

you have no idea....

one of the spacer screws was completly borked, the screw that goes into it through the MB hole was totally locked into it, only way i could get mb out was to double plier the screw and spacer from behind MB, i slipped with screwy and hit the MB, im praying i havnt damaged any of the thin circuit lines.

:(

thin circuit thingy's

Phrenetical said:
you have no idea....

one of the spacer screws was completly borked, the screw that goes into it through the MB hole was totally locked into it, only way i could get mb out was to double plier the screw and spacer from behind MB, i slipped with screwy and hit the MB, im praying i havnt damaged any of the thin circuit lines.

:(
before you put it all together , plug your psu into the mobo and see if you get a post, if you get a post then your probably ok, if you don't ........go shopping! but check for post before you put it all back together, it would really suck to do all that work and and have a dead system.

Back