• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK I will try it (in my 1 of my garage test rigs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

OK I decided I will try this water cooling thing, albeit not in my every day PC, but in one of my test rigs out in the garage. I have looked at some stuff and I am open to suggestions. I like the Thermaltake stuff and unless somebody can find comparable stuff for less $$ I will buy the following. I do not really need the "best" stuff as I will not be using it on my C2D, but I do want decent stuff. If I can get similar stuff to what I have listed here for less $$ I am open to suggestions. I, for some reason have to have a big CPU tower type water block with fan attachment...don't know why but I do. Anyway here is what I will get unless you guys can save me a few dimes.

Thermaltake Aqua Brazing W2 VGA block and the Thermaltake Aqua Brazing W3 NB chipset block from here:
sharke computer

I will get the The Thermaltake Bigwater 745 from here:
http://sharkacomputers.com/thbi745upwac.html

And lastly I will get Thermaltake Volcano 4005 Heat Exchanger here:
FrozenCPU

Initially I will be using this stuff on an Abit A88XE Fatal1ty mobo with a P4 520 2.8ghz CPU and a low end PCI-E x16 ATI X600 VGA

Total cost with shipping for all this stuff will be around $330, so if anybody knows where to get similar stuff for less $$ please let me know I will not be ordering anything until after Christ,mmas so I have lots of time to research all your suggestions. Thanks -Jim

Swiftech Apogee - $50
DDC Pump - $80
Black Ice Pro II Radiator - $35
DD Maze 5 - $43
Ramsinks - $15
Chipset - $40
Tubing + Fittings - $20
2 x 120mm Fans - $20

Comes to $303, not including shipping, and will still outperform that TT kit. You can use Distilled water/antifreeze, and 20 drops of Provodine Iodine for coolant.

Prices taken from www.dangerden.com , www.sidewindercomputers.com

TT kits are POS. Not worth the money. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Pretty much what maviryk said is on the money. Everyone is going to come out of the woodwork to tell you that kits are generally garbage. In my experiece as well, kits don't do what they say they do. Those parts maviryk recommended are pretty good. Check them out, see what you think.

Avoid TT kits, had one and they got higher temps than I do now with high end air (Thermaltake XP-120). The setup Maviryk recomments = :thup:.

Immortal_Hero said:
Avoid TT kits, had one and they got higher temps than I do now with high end air (Thermaltake XP-120). The setup Maviryk recomments = :thup:.

well i would have to agree but not fully with you. i personally have a thermaltake kit on my rig and it is running pretty cool. ambient temp right now is 18c and cpu temp is 26c core temp is 21c and the temp of the liquid is 21.7c just on the net typing this. but I do agree fully that the best air cooled setup probably performs the same if not a little bit better the this kit. I bought the case and it came with it so i used it for a little while. Now I'm planning on upgrading to a swiftech pump and cpu block and a 120mm dual cross flow rad because I'm just now satisfied with the temp. i guess the whole water cooling thing is finally getting the addicting side of me.

So all in all don't waste your money like these guys say on a Kit (there are very few kits worth buying) just piece it together like i am going to do or what maviryk listed and you should be more then satisfied.

The Volcano is a CPU block and RAD all in one, so its pointless to get it along with the bigwater kit. Its also pointless to get any of that garbage. Go with what mav said, you wont be dissapointed.

Thanks guys...This is why I asked. I will use what Mav ordered and let you all know how I do. I have the same chip in another board and got it up to 3.2ghz. I imagine when I get this water going I should be able to get maybe to 3.4 or 3.6. Thanks again

EDIT: I am not using this on the rig in my sig, but on the rig I mentioned earlier.
Initially I will be using this stuff on an Abit A88XE Fatal1ty mobo with a P4 520 2.8ghz CPU and a low end PCI-E x16 ATI X600 VGA 2X512MB Patriot DDR2533

Listen to those guys, they gave good advice. PRetty much the best bang for the buck is setting up a custom system with seperate components. You can buy the individual parts as funds permit and give you plenty of time to plan and put it all together. I have not had a problem with this setup yet. This is my water system....

-DangerDen TDX CPU block 1/2" inlets,
-PolarFlo TT GPU block 1/2" inlets,
-6"x9" Ford Heater core with 150mm fan
-Via Aqua 1300 pump
-Danger Den Clear custom reservoir
-1/2" clear tubing from Home Depot
-12 worm drive hose clamps

the parts listed by maviryk are among the best parts except for maybe the rad. Not that the Black Ice is a bad rad, it is a good rad, but Thermochill is the best.

If you do not need the best of the best for this computer, i wouldn't spend $300 on those parts. I would do some more posting, get your 100 posts, and get access to the classifieds. You can find good prices there on parts that are slightly used for a lot less. And there is nothing wrong with buying used. I bought my MCW6002 block only about one month old from the classifieds for $30 and have been using it for the last 1 1/2 years or so since.

I would more go with a Dtek Whitewater or the TDX, a used MP655/D5 or DDC+, Maze 4 gpu block, whatever dual rad you can get a good deal on, Masterkleer tubing from Mcmaster, and a swiftech microres or t-line depending on what you decide. You could save a lot of money this way and still have a very good setup.

Well, he was willing to spend $330 on the TT crap. At least now he spends 330 on quality parts.

If you're going to go cheap, don't pick a reservoir unless it's homemade. The only res' that are worth buying are made by Eddy EK.

Maviryk said:
Well, he was willing to spend $330 on the TT crap. At least now he spends 330 on quality parts.

If you're going to go cheap, don't pick a reservoir unless it's homemade. The only res' that are worth buying are made by Eddy EK.

You are absolutely right about the fact that at least he would have a good setup vs wasting the money on TT. I was just making the point that he could watercool the computer he wants to just to get into watercooling for a lot less. Since he just wants to try out watercooling and get the hang of it, he may as well save some money doing it.

Buy the right gear now and it will save you money when you realise the TT kit you bought is a piece of crap and worse then Air cooling, then wind up buying the parts we suggested to begin with.

When the time comes to do this I will avoid TT like the plague and go with the stuff suggested here. I may be asking again as it will prob be a month or so b4 I am ready to take on this experiment. Obviously if there are parts comparable to the suggestions here for a bit less $$ I will consider these as well.

Thanks all

Back