• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DQ6 F8 bios update resulting in ICH8 RAID Headache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiriza01

I had ICH8 Raid setup in a Matrix. winxp partition raid 1, second partition in a raid 0

Problem: Updated bios, set optimal defaults(per GB recomendation) Forgot to set raid back to raid mode...(this is the first and last time I follow the advise of GB updater) windows booted but I knew it was to late when IDE storage device along with 2 hd's were found.

restarted.. enabled raid and sure enough windows bsod due to incorrect driver. I figured safemode but nope. I proceeded to disable raid so that I can remove driver from within windows, I acomplished in doing so, but... Upon restarting and enabling raid the volume was degraded and second (raid 0) failed. Sure I can get back into windows now w/o bsod, but I am screwed.

Per the raid controller one of the drives is not part of either array. This happend once before durring my initial setup (with no explanation other than oc gone bad at that time) b/c it was a clean install I just redid the array / install and have been using it for the last 2 or so months w/o incident.

Unfortunatly my Raid 0 partion was not entirly backed up with some home videos that I will surely get an ear full if I can not retrieve (xmas videos).

This being said does anyone have any hero ideas? The raid controller simply thinks one drive no longer belongs as a member. What would be at fault? MBR? Can I copy MBR from Member disk that is detected by controller? I don't want to screw things up further then they already are. Hopefully Someone out there has the answer. I have heard of Raids braking up before, but never found a solution... yes, I am kicking myself for not putting the files on the raid 1.

Help...

Attachment is image of Matrix storage console. note Non-raid drive was / is the drive in question. I only have two drives total in this setup.

Attachments

• raid issue.JPG
    raid issue.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Used File scavenger to reconstruct the raid 0. Pulled files and now have 3 backups.

My suspicion is that the MBR changed at boot resulting in what the raid controller thoght was another drive. Anyway, I re-did the setup with 100% raid 1.

Back