• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking of thermochilla PA120.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

So I was thinking of getting a Thermochilla PA120.3 but I already have the black ice pro 2. I dont want to sell my black ice pro. Would I see any improvement if I used both of my radiators instead of just the thermochill PA120.3 ?

I think he means using the BIP2 and the PA120.3 together in series. I actually am thinking about doing the same thing when I put R600 CF in with a quad core... but anything less than that amount of heat load and I wouldn't expect it to get much better temps.

~jtjuska

Only reason I was thinking about doing it is because I have both of those Res's. I got the Thermochill because I could and its a perfect fit with the U2-UFO. I am thinking about modding the rear to hold the BIP2 although I am still very undecided as to what I am doing with it. I will have to wait and see what happens.
As for the OP I would consider getting the one Green linked for a cost concern as PA120.3's are not cheap by any means. It all depends on what you want to do and what your case will allow.

~jtjuska

from everything I read there solid performers even with low preasure fans.

2nd or 3rd to thremochill, not a bad value IMHO

i was reading on the thermochill boards, one of the designers said that the pa120.3 with some 7v yate loons should handle anything. said the rad could dissipate 1000w+ of heat. just what i read on the net.

ObiwanShinobi said:
So I was thinking of getting a Thermochilla PA120.3 but I already have the black ice pro 2. I dont want to sell my black ice pro. Would I see any improvement if I used both of my radiators instead of just the thermochill PA120.3 ?
You would likely get WORSE temps with the PA120.3 and the BIP2 than just running the PA120.3.

autolex84 said:
for grins, whats the theory as to why it would have worse performance?
The theory is that by having the extra tubing, the extra rad (BIP2) and all the restriction which goes along with that, this will hurt flow. The 120.3 would not be taxed in any way in his setup, adding 1000000000 rads won't get the water temps down one bit unless you are overwhelming the first rad with heat.

nikhsub1 said:
The theory is that by having the extra tubing, the extra rad (BIP2) and all the restriction which goes along with that, this will hurt flow. The 120.3 would not be taxed in any way in his setup, adding 1000000000 rads won't get the water temps down one bit unless you are overwhelming the first rad with heat.

I disagree. The solution to pollution (heat) is dilution (more surface area). I'm pretty sure that pump would have plenty of power behind it. I am NOT saying that he would notice much of a difference or anything (maybe a few tenths to a degree off?) but it DEFINITELY wouldn't hurt anything (other than his pocketbook).AND as you yourself have said nikhsub, flow doesnt really matter!

Cathar said:
Myth: Water must slow down to fully absorb heat.

Reality: In a closed loop, a given water molecule actually spends the same amount of time in the radiator no matter how fast it is moving, as long as the water is indeed moving. If this is a difficult concept to understand, think about a racecar on a track. If the track is 1 mile (5280 ft) long and the car is driving at 60 mph, the car will spend about 1 second in a 100 ft stretch. Think of the 100 ft stretch as the radiator. Now, if the speed is doubled, the car only spends ½ a second in the 100ft section, but it passes through that same section twice a minute, so it spends a total of 1 second in the 100ft section per minute. If this is unclear, please post."

(just copied and pasted from your site, so I didnt have to retype it.)

...but along those lines, isnt the opposite true as well? (within reason)
I mean, if its going a little slower, who cares? it still spends the same amount of time in the radiator (more time per unit of distance, but fewer times) !

ALSO, if you INCREASE radiator area, that is less time (proportionally) that it will be spending in the GPU and CPU blocks gaining heat, and more time spent dissipating it!

EDIT; just realized that the analogy was from Cathar himself.

oh yeah. and the 1000000000 rad thing. YES IT WILL! but you will get to a point (likely after the first or second doubling of the surface area) where its just not worth it to add more, it is as close to room temperature as the water can get.

Last edited:
I disagree with having multiple rads, the extra restriction is not worth it plus the PA120.3 can handle more than most can throw at it.

The only thing I would add to this discussion is plumb the rads in parallel instead of series. That eliminates the restriction argument. Even Cathar started out with his heater cores parallel then decided they weren't restrictive enough for his pump to warrant the parallel set-up and changed them to series to simplify the loop ...

nikhsub1 said:
Well, im not too worried about lowering temps. Just really putting the second rad to use instead of selling it or just having it sit in a box somewhere.

I still find it hard to believe that using both the BIP2 and the PA120.3 would do more harm than just using the PA. And I still am on the side of having slower water would be better because it could absorb more heat before moving on.

this thread is crackin me up.

ObiwanShinobi said:
I still find it hard to believe that using both the BIP2 and the PA120.3 would do more harm than just using the PA. And I still am on the side of having slower water would be better because it could absorb more heat before moving on.

and i still find it hard to believe the earth is round, and am still on the side of that rain is really angels peeing from heaven.:eek:

The_Jizzler said:
this thread is crackin me up.

and i still find it hard to believe the earth is round, and am still on the side of that rain is really angels peeing from heaven.:eek:
Hey why dont you contribute something useful instead of being a trolling j******? I'm just trying to find a definite answer.
I don't really want to waste my current radiator.

Last edited:
chill......weve already told you the answer to your question. sans you putting a thermo-nuclear device in your rig, its a waste of money, and will probably be worse off to run more than a pa120.3. your trying to reinvent the wheel here man.

Back