• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start Menu Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MERKiN

Registered
Hey guys, i thought I'd ask you guys this question as well:

On my systems at work, a lot of our users are having issues where after a while, they cannot select things from either the Favorites Drop down box in IEXPLORE, or things in their start menu under All Programs. I've tried searching Microsoft's glorious Knowledge base and came up with nothing. we tried rebuilding Iexplore, and reinstalling it... nothing thus far. It's happening a lot, and my users are going insane. If anyone has any insight, lemme know.

thanks a million

-MERKiN

Which OS are you running?, and I'm unsure as to what you mean exactly by "they cannot select things from either the Favorites Drop down box in IEXPLORE, or things in their start menu under All Programs". Also what do you mean by "we tried rebuilding Iexplore, and reinstalling it"?

We are using Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the updates / hotfixes (minus IE7). It's like this, say you go over to the start button, and click it, then goto all programs and attempt to select a folder within that submenu, you cannot select anything. It wont highlight folders or anything like that. The drop down Favorites menu, is from internet Explorer, you cannot select anything in there as well. I didnt set any policies that would deny such access, but thats where i stand right now. it happens to everyone from time to time, a simple reboot fixes the issue... but id rather it be flawless you know? i've never seen anything like this.

What is causing this issue? A crash in the shell itself? Thanks for the cmd tho, i will try this out next time i see the issue. But, could you explain a lil further what this exactly does for the system. And why this issue is happening for me? Thanks

Edit: i saw what this does, reloads the shell dll one more time. Thanks

Back