• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Random Programs Not Responding, Freezing, Explorer Crashes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datad02

Registered
So i've had this issue for quite a while and have tried a lot of different things to fix it and maybe that's done more damage rather than fixing. I've tried fixing registry errors, running a lot of anti-cluttering programs and antivirus programs that work on safe mode. Yet I still have the same problems and can't determine if it's a software or hardware issue at this point. I'm currently overclocked but even before I overclocked still had the same problems. Things freeze, take too long to load, not responding, etc... It's not one specific program ranges from Google Chrome to even just the file explorer. Start menu as well. I believe the Windows 10 on my computer was pirated and I've made sure that it's clean. I can't enable firewall at this point or even update windows. I've thought about just reinstalling but i'm unsure if that is really the right thing to do as the same issues might just occur. Also for further antivirus I use BitDefender. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reinstallation of Windows is in order.

Have you run memtest86 on your memory?

Have you run CrystalDiskInfo on your storage drives?

Have you run system file checker? Here is the correct way to do it in Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

But the biggest potential issue I see is that you are running mixed RAM modules. Different brand, different timings and different frequency. And to top it all off, the TeamGroup RAM is overclocked. Not only that, but Kingston has a reputation for not playing well with that generation of AMD hardware. All that is a big no, no! I suggest you first remove the Kingston RAM and run the TeamGroup at 1333, it's rated frequency. It wouldn't surprise me if your problems disappeared. And don't bother reinstalling Windows or running system file checker until you fix the RAM issues.

Thanks so much, so I did everything you said. Memtest86 came up with no errors took forever to run.
For CrystalDiskInfo all the drives were in good health except for one which was a small hard drive I don't use very often at all.
After running the system file checker I noticed no change in the issues i've been having i've run it before to no avail. I've just taken out the team-group ram which I just realized is rated at 1600 actually so thats good. However, I don't notice an impact at all after swapping them and resetting the overclock back to default timings and clock from the rams manual.

Running that mixed, overclocked RAM has likely corrupted Windows files. I certainly would do a clean install of Windows after backing up data. If your copy of Windows was activated then it should automatically activate again on the same hardware if you choose the same version of Windows during the install. But you should first create a Windows 10 installer on a flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 . That way, you will be starting with a clean version of Windows since you mention your believe your current copy of Windows was pirated. Put all your hardware back to default stock settings before attempting the installation and use only the Teamgroup RAM at 1333 mhz.

Running that mixed, overclocked RAM has likely corrupted Windows files. I certainly would do a clean install of Windows after backing up data. If your copy of Windows was activated then it should automatically activate again on the same hardware if you choose the same version of Windows during the install. But you should first create a Windows 10 installer on a flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 . That way, you will be starting with a clean version of Windows since you mention your believe your current copy of Windows was pirated. Put all your hardware back to default stock settings before attempting the installation and use only the Teamgroup RAM at 1333 mhz.

Alright will give it a try tomorrow morning! Thanks again.

You should also check the integrity of the memory with memtest86, a free diagnostic utility that runs from boot. If you've had the TeamGroup RAM overclocked you may have damaged it.

When you reinstall Windows disconnect all but the drive you will use for the system drive. When multiple drives are connected during a Windows install, weird things can happen.

Well, if the fresh OS install doesnt work, does it happen only under load? Cx power supplies are serviceable, but not great. If it is older too.. maybe that is it... though you have bigger fish to fry first.

Once your OS is installed, I'd ditch the optimizing apps and such... those can do more harm than good... even in 2005 when they were more effective with limited resources :)

You should also check the integrity of the memory with memtest86, a free diagnostic utility that runs from boot. If you've had the TeamGroup RAM overclocked you may have damaged it.

When you reinstall Windows disconnect all but the drive you will use for the system drive. When multiple drives are connected during a Windows install, weird things can happen.

I already checked with memtest86 earlier like you said with the two mixed running for 3 hours. Came up with no errors at all. Will make sure to disconnect all the drives.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Well, if the fresh OS install doesnt work, does it happen only under load? Cx power supplies are serviceable, but not great. If it is older too.. maybe that is it... though you have bigger fish to fry first.

Once your OS is installed, I'd ditch the optimizing apps and such... those can do more harm than good... even in 2005 when they were more effective with limited resources :)

Not under full load but trying simple tasks like opening google chrome, opening file explorer, or making searches through file explorer or the windows start menu which often delays when trying to open.

Issues, like?

Well it was bringing up some startup errors after the first install. So I had to reformat the drive. Now it's doing fine. I'm installing Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10. As it's free.

startup errors after the first install.
details are helpful here.. :)

I'm installing Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10. As it's free.
Werent you on 10 already? Just install 10!!!! You dont need to upgrade once you've done it and are licensed properly!! That isnt really a "clean" install, upgrading over that ancient OS.

details are helpful here.. :)

Werent you on 10 already? Just install 10!!!! You dont need to upgrade once you've done it and are licensed properly!! That isnt really a "clean" install, upgrading over that ancient OS.

Well the 10 I was on was pirated. So the license doesn't transfer over as it wasn't a proper license. I have an install of Windows 7 and I can just upgrade to 10 from there for free with a proper license.

Ahh, gotcha. Ok, if things don't work out on the reinstall, once you have your proper license, consider a fresh W10 install without an upgrade.

Ahh, gotcha. Ok, if things don't work out on the reinstall, once you have your proper license, consider a fresh W10 install without an upgrade.

Alright, I'll let you know soon i'm almost done. I'm going to try to upgrade fresh as it does have an option to delete everything and upgrade to 10.

Alright, I'll let you know soon i'm almost done. I'm going to try to upgrade fresh as it does have an option to delete everything and upgrade to 10.
but once installed and licensed you can simple create w10 media from the MS website. ;)

but once installed and licensed you can simple create w10 media from the MS website. ;)

Ok I just got everything done. There's no remnants of Windows 7 I made sure it was a complete clean install I chose custom setup and made sure it said keep nothing. Running way smoother i've noticed when opening the start menu and doing a few simple tasks. But really time will tell on this one. I'll keep you guys updated if I have anymore issues. I've just got to reconnect the drives and install some drivers.

There's no remnants of Windows 7 I made sure it was a complete clean install I chose custom setup and made sure it said keep nothing.
Pretty sure that means personal files etc... you still did an upgrade install.

Regardless of the semantics, our fingers are crossed!

Back