• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dark Side Woes (P5B-D)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I recently got a hold of a P5B-D, an E6600, and some DDR2 to go with it.

I setup the system today. It doesn't work. All of the lights and fans come on, but no video signal. I know the card works because I was using it as recently as 4 hours ago. The fan also comes on full blast like normal, but it never quiets down.

I've tried using both PCI express slots. Everything is plugged in correctly. I'm at a complete loss.

The LED turns blue when I flip the power on and red when I hit the power switch. I believe this is normal, though.

I reset the RTC RAM, other than that I am out of ideas. I don't have a case speaker so I don't know if it is beeping or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Are the mobo, cpu, and ddr2 new?
I'm sure you double, triple checked all of the power connections. Like the vcard and 24 pin mobo connection.
What psu are you using?
Would you happen to have a pci v.card? If so, maybe try that.
Did you try one stick of ram?
Mine fired right up at first, so there is definately something wrong.

are there any post beep codes? do you even have a speaker plugged into the mobo? you didn't mention so....

also not mentioned, what ram? what psu? is the board new or used?

*edit* what OnD said might actually help...if the mobo has an older bios on it, it may be only giving the ram 1.8v. your ram might need 2v+ (hard to tell, you didn't tell us what ram), so using one stick to boot can help. you boot with 1 stick, go into the bios, and set the vdimm to the ram's needed voltage.

Wow...there are some responses. Let's see what I can get out to you guys.

So it won't POST at all?

I actually don't know what it is doing. All the hardware appears to be working. The vid card fan is on, all of the fans turn on, etc, etc. There is no video output though.

Are the mobo, cpu, and ddr2 new?
I'm sure you double, triple checked all of the power connections. Like the vcard and 24 pin mobo connection.
What psu are you using?
Would you happen to have a pci v.card? If so, maybe try that.
Did you try one stick of ram?
Mine fired right up at first, so there is definately something wrong.

Yes, all three are new.

I've been over every connection in this thing a million times.

PSU is a 500W Fortron Blue Storm. More than enough for a 6600 and a x1800.

No PCI vid card, I should invest in one.

Yeah, I've tried one or both sticks of RAM in every slot and combination you can dream of.

are there any post beep codes? do you even have a speaker plugged into the mobo? you didn't mention so....

also not mentioned, what ram? what psu? is the board new or used?

I thought I mentioned it before, but I don't have a case speaker. The TJ-07 doesn't have one. $350 for a case and no speaker.

One thing I noticed.

When my monitor is in "sleep" mode the power LED is orange. Normally when I turn the comp on it'll turn green two or three seconds later and turn on.

With this current problem, the LED turns green briefly, then back to orange...as if the monitor is being probed. It then proceeds to give me "no input signal blah blah blah".

I need to get another video card...my hunch is that it is the problem, but I just had it working hours before I put all of this together.

what ram?

read my edit... you need a case speaker before you can really determine anything. if you've got an old set of headphones, you can make one. just separate the wires, and use a connector from an old case or something... you can solder the connector, or just use some electrical tape.

IF it is a ram issue (it might be), i've read that some people have gotten their ram to post at the lower vdimm by putting one stick in the freezer for like 30mins or so, then try posting with it.

satandole666 said:
I need to get another video card...my hunch is that it is the problem, but I just had it working hours before I put all of this together.

can't you slap it into the old rig again to confirm?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
OH sorry... :p missed that.

WELL OP, there is a start. get a case speaker. ;) (pull it out of your current rig if you have to)

I'm using the same case from before.

I've made ghetto speakers before in Electrical Engineering and Physics classes...I'll see if I can stir one up and figure out how to connect it to the mobo.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
can't you slap it into the old rig again to confirm?

I will have to do this eventually, problem is the old rig is in a box...and I don't have any HSFs. I'll have to ghetto rig my water cooling setup to check it...and I was hoping (since it worked before) that I would find the solution has nothing to do with the vidcard.

Pull out your vid card and try to boot. Put the vid card back in and boot it up see what happens.

Have you tried resetting or flashing the BIOS on the mobo?

satandole666 said:
I will have to do this eventually, problem is the old rig is in a box...and I don't have any HSFs. I'll have to ghetto rig my water cooling setup to check it...and I was hoping (since it worked before) that I would find the solution has nothing to do with the vidcard.
unless something happened to the vid card, i would think it should still work. i've beaten up some of my vid cards pretty badly (poor 9700pro) and they are all still alive.

you would be able to save yourself a lot of work and time if you could get a hold of a case speaker. that is pretty much essential equipment for anyone in this hobby. :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
what ram?

read my edit... you need a case speaker before you can really determine anything. if you've got an old set of headphones, you can make one. just separate the wires, and use a connector from an old case or something... you can solder the connector, or just use some electrical tape.

IF it is a ram issue (it might be), i've read that some people have gotten their ram to post at the lower vdimm by putting one stick in the freezer for like 30mins or so, then try posting with it.

Brilliant idea.

This is the RAM.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2_dual_channel

Chips say:

x42e1208409-3
0631r

Immortal_Hero said:
Pull out your vid card and try to boot. Put the vid card back in and boot it up see what happens.

Have you tried resetting or flashing the BIOS on the mobo?

Tried both. Pulling the vid card out produces the same response. So does pulling the RAM out.

I'm going to ghetto rig a case speaker and see if its beeping.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
unless something happened to the vid card, i would think it should still work. i've beaten up some of my vid cards pretty badly (poor 9700pro) and they are all still alive.

you would be able to save yourself a lot of work and time if you could get a hold of a case speaker. that is pretty much essential equipment for anyone in this hobby. :)

Yeah...this card is still in good shape. I'm fairly delicate with my expensive hardware.

I had a case speaker in my old case, which I no longer have.

Any further instructions for making headphones into a case speaker?

satandole666 said:

well, OCZ's site says between 1.9v and 2.1v. so a really good set of those rams will be good at 1.9v, and a lesser set at 2.1v. this MAY cause a problem, but usually the issues i described are reserved for ram that runs 2.0v-2.2v at stock. still i would try the freezer trick if all else fails (and after you rig together a speaker ;)).

satandole666 said:
Any further instructions for making headphones into a case speaker?

i'll take a pic to give you an idea....brb, i'll edit this post.

ok, so, in this pic is an old set of headphones i happened to have lying around. they are dead, the headphone jack plug is shot, so only one side works when plugged into my ipod. not relevant, it will still work for this purpose.

on the left is an old power plug i cut out of an old system, for situations exactly like this. this is a 3 pin plug, you may need a 4 pin plug for the speaker, and if you don't have one, you can use 2 seperate 2 pin plugs, or whatever you have around (on a 4 pin plug, the wires would only go to the outside 2 pins).

so, i would start by stripping the wires on the headphones, giving yourself enough slack to do a good tape job with electrical tape. then simply tape the ends to the connector, and away you go. ;) hope this helps, lemme know if you have any questions.
367156341_f95f6e1ca4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back