• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for mounting a pump and one or more radiators in my Thermaltake Armor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legionaire45

Suggestions for mounting a pump and one or more radiators in my Thermaltake Armor?

Hey guys, Just got SolidXSnake's D5 and now im going to rebuild my water cooling system for my $80 C2D (brand new and came with a mATX mobo, but thats a different story). I have a single 120 mm radiator and a double 120 mm radiator. I also have brackets that let me mount either into my 5 1/2 inch bays, albeit horizontally. How should I go about getting these things to fit? Here are some pics of my case:

Old pic showing the radiator mounted in the 5 1.2 inch bays:

Current setup:

I want to avoid drilling mounting holes as much as possible. I would also like to try and keep the wires looking as clean as possible. I can use either 1/2 or 3/8 inch tubing (which ever works better, I have a gemini cool block that can use either type of fittings). The case has 4 tubing holes that lead to the outside directly above the black fan at the back. Im thinking of mounting the pump directly to the bottom (where the screw holes are) of the case. If there are any better place to put it I will move it though =D.

Thanks for looking :santa: .

Last edited:
Check out my setup. Swiftech MCP655 with a thermochill PA120.2

Mounted the rad in the front of the case with the fans pushing n the rad and set the pump on the back wall on the floor.

DSC01118.jpg
DSC01122.jpg
DSC01126.jpg

DSC01087_001.sized.jpg

DSC01088.sized.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

Here is the link to the build:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=493077

Hope that helped.:)

that looks like a really nice set of custom brackets there! Do they sell anything like that or would I have to have someone go out and hand machine some of those? I have some very light machining experience and I could probably make that its just that there arnt any machine-shops nearby. Otherwise are there any other potential mounting points that someone can point out to me? remember I am willing to use either (single 120 or double) radiator.

I don't have very good machining skills, just know how to mill and little lathe work But i made those brackets with a break and hand held jigsaw converted into a stand up saw kinda cool, but i made them out of aluminum. I don't know of anyone how makes and sells them. If you go with the thermochill Pa120.2 i could probably make you a set if you like, but the rad is about 120.00 for the dual 120mm.

sorry for the semi-bump but right now I really need some suggestions. Looks like I will be using half inch tubing so routing it outside the case is probably a no-go. I'll try and mount it into the 5 1/2 bays vertically and see if that works. Im going to be removing my WC setup and then filling it so it is easier to fill (I dont have a res and the case weighs close to 50 lbs with water in it so its fairly hard to bleed it) empty.

Do you have enough room to drop you DVD drive down and fit a dual 120mm rad in the top of you case? That has been my original plan with my case, the only issue is possibly clearance with the PSU. With this method you'll have to make some cuts in the top to mount, but it should all fit. As for the pump, I would suggest mounting it on the floor of the case, it looks like there is plenty room there. Also you can try to damp the pump by sitting it on some foam or something of that nature.

The pump is a Lang D4 (or 5?) and comes with the foam vibration pad so thats done =D. Im going to try and zip-tie it to the 5 1/2 bays, but for measuring out the lengths of tubing and stuff it will be free-floating. I'll post some pics when I get around to doing it xD.

update: im now waiting on some barbs for the rest of the system (1/2") and I might want to get a resavior/fillport.

keep the suggestions coming please ^_^

Why didn't you just ask me. You realize I'm sitting 5 feet from you? :p

It worked pretty well when you had it at the front of the case, especially since the Armor has fan filters in the front to keep the radiator clean.

yup, thats just about what im going to do xD. Right after I fix the cuts on my fingers and clean the blood off the keyboard..... lol emo.

its coming along ok, I almost have all the tubing hooked up and ready for it and it will (probably) be ready for filling tomorrow. w00t.

heres some pics like I promised. in the attachments. sorry for the quality but its a camera phone xD

Attachments

• SP_A0196.jpg
    SP_A0196.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
  • SP_A0197.jpg
    SP_A0197.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 48
  • SP_A0198.jpg
    SP_A0198.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 46
  • SP_A0199.jpg
    SP_A0199.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 45

still a little bit of air to bleed out but overall things are going very well. I tested my idle temps last night and my temps were 18/20 (core 0 and core 1) according to core temp. Last night the temps were about that so its running at about ambient =D. I'll see what it hits at load and then OC it a bunch.

Back