• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Suggetsions on MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Rebuilding my Mom's computer for her.

Gonna go with the conroe E6400

Looking for MB and Memory(2x1gig) suggestions.

Odds of her ever going SLI or crossfire are nil. I will be purchasing a new video card but that is not for this thread.
I do plan to give it at least a mild OC. It needs to have most bells and whistles including raid. Should have 4 mem slots for future mem upgrade.

No RAID? Abit AB9 (plain not Pro) should be fine and it's pretty cheap. That will give you a guaranteed 400 FSB with an E6400. However, the E4300 might be a little cheaper and if you are just planning a modest O/C of maybe 333 FSB (3 gig), then you can get cheaper DDR2-667 RAM instead of DDR2-800 RAM.

She does a lot of digitizing and dvd creation. Along with standard office apps.
For the record it DOES NEED Raid. She currently has 2 250gig drives in a raid 0 then she has another 500gig drive.

I wouldn't recomend a Nvidia chipset motherboard unless you plan on running high end or great deal SLI..

epauls said:
what chipset do you suggest then??
the ones with 965/975 chipsets, since you need raid you need to look at boards with ICH7R/ICH8R.

i'd get the foxcon or epox 965p board with the ich8r southbridge for your mom

Foxconn or Epox? Good grief, no way. I do agree with ICH8R southbridge though.

Asus P5B-E or Abit AB9-Pro or Gigabyte DS3.

The Epox is having issues right now.. check my thread here in this fourm (they need to get out a bios update before I recomend that motherboard to anyone)

The Foxcon? uhh I wouldn't count on it not being buggy unless they have put out a few bios updates.

The DS3 doesnt have the ICH8R southbridge
the Asus P5B-E only has 2.1Vdimm

I like the Abit AB9-Pro for its 2.4Vdimm max and ~450FSB+

Just a reminder that the Abit AB9-Pro has the following statement in the specifications:
"Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets."

All 965P motherboards have that in the specifications.. that depends on the bios shipped but the initial problems with that seem to have been resolved with a vdimm bump in the bios shipped.

And even if they didn't do that, the A-Data RAM you picked out would have booted anyway (it meets that speification).

that is why I picked that memory, because it met the criteria.

I just don't see why he should spend the money on a uberclox0r motherboard when the computer is for his mother and he is not planning on overclocking it much. If the foxconn and the epox won't allow him to simply plug it in and turn it on, I can see why you wouldn't recommend them, but I personally cannot recommend a $150+ motherboard for someone who is going to run stock (or effectively stock).

Don't skimp on the motherboard or power supply. Why make the heart of your system the weakest link?

Back