• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need sugestions on this proposed rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippiekiller

Registered
Credit to HardForm for this template of questions.
I'm close to hitting buy on my rig and I would love for any other suggestions to take into consideration before hand. I really would love to do a black/gold theme to match the Asus board but its hard to find anything gold. Some painting may be in my future.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Cracking encryption, a little Photoshop, I would like to get into Gaming now that I'll have a capable rig. All my idle time I would like to go toward Folding@Home.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
About $2K give or take a little
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Good Ole USA. Around Fort Stewart, GA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case,Power Supply,CPU,RAM,GPU for 3x monitors,Cooler for overclocking, SSD for OS and Programs and HD for other data.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None to reuse
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yep
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I have 3 SyncMaster 27" SA350s with 1920x1080 resolution. I'm currently using 2 of the 3 but would like to bring in the other one for use.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I would like the ability to add an additional video card in the future so Crossfire is a yes. I need about 5 USB 3.0s. I would like to have my OS loaded on M.2 in the future but right now availability and price isn't there. Maybe an additional 1Tb drive for RAID later as well.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Still deciding on Windows 7 or 8.1 64bit. Right now I'm on 8.1.

Here is a link to the proposed components on pcpartpicker.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hippiekiller/saved/bVRgXL

Thank you very much for you guys time. I've been a long time reader and this is my first post here.

you'll need more cooling for that processor, think about the I5 devils canyon.

eeeeee, it will work at 4.0-4.4.

Not a bad build. You're going to need more GPU power to drive 3K worth of displays though. If you plan on gaming across all 3 screens you won't get good framrates with a single 290.
Not sure going with a $150 cooler is good return on investment. I'd go with a $70-80 big air cooler and call it a day.

Are you close to either Microcenter in Ga?
Changes I would make:

Prolimatech PK-1/Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme they are a lot easier to work with.

Samsung 840 Evo

SeaSonic SS-750KM plenty of headroom

Asrock Extreme 6 Z97

Wow, you guys respond quick! Thank you.

caddi daddi - Really? Out of the benchmarks I have read, the 240L out performed most everything else.

Theocnoob - First, water cooling has always been a turn on with me since I did my first build 10 years ago. I'll try finding a pic.

mimart7 - Took your and Mandrake4565's suggestion with the ASrock. The H220-X looks great and I like the idea of the pump not being on the processor. Expandability is always nice also. Has anyone reviewed it yet or held it yet, it looks very new.

Mandrake4565 - There is a microcenter in Atlanta, about 3.5 hours away. I would take the trip if it was worth it. I also went with your suggestions and changed the build. Went with GC-Extreme, Asrock Extreme 6, and the Seasonic SS-750KM3. You also made a suggestion of the Samsung 840 EVO. Are you suggesting that to replace my data drive or main OS drive? Can I ask why not the 850 pro?

Theocnoob - To tell you the truth, I can't remember. I've been doing a lot of researching and now I'm encountering a brain fart as to why. I think it was the M.2 and it being 8 phase.

Found some pics of my first water cooling rig over 10 years ago. Guess you can say I was a pioneer in that aspect. Damn I'm showing my age. Sorry for the pic quality. These were pics taken by 35mm. Digital wasn't really popular or too damn expensive.

Scan0002_zps4f827b5a.jpg
Scan0001_zps703d8ee8.jpg

here is a short p95, not long enough to get to the hot parts.
I use an EK supremecy block and mo-ra 4x180 rad, these things are hot!!!

Attachments

• 4.8.jpg
    4.8.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 141
You also made a suggestion of the Samsung 840 EVO. Are you suggesting that to replace my data drive or main OS drive? Can I ask why not the 850 pro?
I just don't see a reason that justifies getting the 850 pro over the 840 Evo for $120.00 more, the gains are minimal.

There is a microcenter in Atlanta, about 3.5 hours away.
They have great walk in Cpu/Motherboard combo deals but the savings doesn't justify a 3.5 hour drive.

I make the drive to the one in duluth or roswell, worth the ride on a sunday with the little woman, take her to lunch and she'll be glad to ride along.

I just don't see a reason that justifies getting the 850 pro over the 840 Evo for $120.00 more, the gains are minimal.

They have great walk in Cpu/Motherboard combo deals but the savings doesn't justify a 3.5 hour drive.

I'm active Army. I hope so much that my next duty station is near one. I kinda miss CompUSA and the ability to return items locally or just to see them up close unlike the internet. I've never been.

I'll make up my mind shortly on the 850 v. 840. It's been suggested that my Video Card won't be up to snuff with 3x monitors. Any suggestions or comments on that?

here is a short p95, not long enough to get to the hot parts.
I use an EK supremecy block and mo-ra 4x180 rad, these things are hot!!!

That's a price jump for water cooling. lol. Because now I would be pushing $200 and still need hoses, pump, and reservoir. But I do like the bench marks.

I'll get trashed for it but you might need two.
are you at fort stewy or warner robbins?

no, I'm in north ga, I spend a lot of time at the race track at faulkville, near savannah

It's been suggested that my Video Card won't be up to snuff with 3x monitors.
If you're planning on running across all 3 monitors it's most likely not enough GPU 290 X/ 780 Ti at a minimum.

are 290x's and 780 Ti's just pretty much overclocked. And good point Theocnoob! When I actually game it would probably be using 1 or 2 monitors at the most. And i'm not a huge gamer... now. If I do, it's probably just a little in my spare time. Being in the Army, studying for a new job in the army (schooling starts in 1 year), and working toward a B.S. in CyberSecurity pretty much takes up most of my time. That's why I said I would be playing with encryption type stuff. Don't know if GPU can come in handy with that or not.

Back