• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andisoss

Registered
Good morning,

I am trying to decide which RAM to OC my new E6420 with. I have done a lot of reading and it pretty much sums up to (and please correct me if i misunderstood) lower CAS Latency and RAM timing and a higher rated clock speed is better (more overclocking potential).

But on newegg.com that have some CORSAIR 2x1GB PC6400 CAS 5 and 5-5-5-12 timing for $280.

Right below, they have CORSAIR 2x1GB PC6400 CAS4 and 4 4-4-12 timing for $180 (down to $130 after rebate).

Why the $100 difference in price if the RAM is slower? It would be invaluable if someone could explain this to me. Thank you for your time.

Good question.......

Can you post the links to the two items?

Its possible one is a typo.

Well, I honestly dont see why one is priced so much more. My advice is get the $180 pair asap in the event it is a price typo..

It added to cart at that price and if you receive the $50 rebate it looks like an unbelievable deal.

In the description on the lower priced one it says the timings are the 5,5,5,18 at jedec speeds.

Its possible that the lower timings on the spec tab are wrong.

Still a really good deal though with the rebate.

Memory prices fluctuate almost weekly due to IC costs. However, these you have listed make no sense to me at all. I'll check into this. There is no way a CAS5 kit should ever cost $280. Regardless, the CAS4 kit is the better kit and a steal after the rebate.

ROFLMAO, Newegg must have had a mistake. The price on the CAS5 kit changed to $160 while I was sending the email to our Newegg rep. The rep replied to me after it had changed and thought I was losing my mind. Mebbe I am........:shrug:

Well, it is great to hear i am not loosing my mind. I was pretty stumped and thought for sure i read SOMETHING wrong . Perhaps i'll snag that CAS4 kit, now.

Back