• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista is really slow to recognise USB devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

I use two machines, one running XP Pro and one running Vista Ultimate 32bit.

I use the XP one for browsing and I use the Vista one for gaming. I have a Logitech MX Revolution mouse that I use mainly on the XP machine but I like to swap it over to the Vista machine if I'm playing a FPS. The other mouse I use is a Gyration, I swap them when I want to play a FPS. Both wireless mice, in case readers didn't already realise.

When I swap the mice, the XP machine instantly detects that the mouse dongle has been unplugged, and instantly detects that the new one has been plugged in, so no problems there. However, it takes a good 20s for the Vista machine to detect that the mouse has been unplugged and a new one inserted, so I have to spend that time waiting for the change to be recognised (this happens whichever way I'm switching). Note that it makes the USB disconnection noise after ~20s and the USB connection noise immediately after.

Does anyone know why this is? Or what I could do to fix it?

the only thing that comes up for me is crappy drivers or possible need of a bios update. Although I cant imagine a bios updating helping, its worth a shot anyways.

Just make sure everything is up to date driver wise.

Back