• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory situation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

Hows it going guys? Ive got a little situation, and im sure alot of you can give me your opinions about it.

Currently, my pc is running with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145566 .

Pretty nice memory, But im looking into getting more than a gig, because I like to multitask large programs, and a gig just cant handle this.

Now ive found 3 options that are probably the best 3.

1. I can just buy another gig, of this same memory, and can be rolling with 2GB at 1000mhz @ 5-5-5-18 easy. for $67.

Or

2. I can purchase this 2GB set. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590
And should still be able 2 sustain 1000mhz @ 5-5-5-18, and have a total of 3GB for $69.00 after a $30 mail in rebate. (keep in mind i use XP Prof.)

Or

3. I can purchase this 2Gig set of EPP memory and SLI certified. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

And im pretty sure this would not work with the gig that i have, so i have a friend whose about to build a computer, so i could sell him my current non epp/sli Gig to him, and just pop this 2 gig set in, and maybe get some better overclocks, for $73, after $40 mail in rebate.

And u never know, option 4. 2 gigs of DDR2-1066 (PC2 8500) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145033
for $174, and sell the current gig i have now.

Thank you all for any help, or suggestions. My motherboard is EVGA 680i SLI.

I'd pick up a set of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. Last time I checked they were only $79.99 after rebate on newegg. This memory can easily hit DDR2-1000 at CAS4.

Woah

Wow, im looking at reviews on that memory at 1.8v @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12. WOAH crazy dude. This owns corsair xms, haha, im definitely gonna look into this.

I myself did 650mhz (DDR2-1300), CAS5 at 2.4v. This is some real good stuff. IMO, the best D9GMH kits out there. I've been benching at around 600mhz all week.

Wow, you have definitely changed my views about corsair xms being top OCing dawg. lol. Now ive been reading some reviews saying D9GMH memory has a short life span? Not sure if i should flow with them. And also, going over 2.2v on this Balistix i believe voids warranty? Well, overclockign in general should void warranty, but eh. I dont care if i void it, i just wanna be able 2 hit high oc's.

Now InkFx, how high can u get the balistix to go at 2.1v? And also, how high can you get it to go at 2.2v? I dont think i wanna go any higher, because i have also read reviews about the 680i motherboards killing memory over 2.2v after a few months range?

Anyhow, i will definitely get this balistix stuff, kicks corsairs ***. Does the tracer get the same overclocks? isnt it the same chip, just with a cool led heatsink on it?

Kai_Force said:
Wow, you have definitely changed my views about corsair xms being top OCing dawg. lol. Now ive been reading some reviews saying D9GMH memory has a short life span? Not sure if i should flow with them. And also, going over 2.2v on this Balistix i believe voids warranty? Well, overclockign in general should void warranty, but eh. I dont care if i void it, i just wanna be able 2 hit high oc's.
D9GMH chips are used in some other memory from different memory brands, and they have all proven to be highly overclockable memory. G.skill HZ model, Patriot eXtreme Performance, just to name a few, all use micron's D9 chips (whether D9GMH or D9GKX I don't know, but the former overclocks better to my knowledge). as far as life span goes, I haven't read anything about these dying quickly. going over 2.2v technically voids your warranty, but 1) to get much higher speeds than the rated 400mhz, you will need to overvolt a bit more, and 2) if you kill your memory in a few months by pushing them too hard, you can usually still get a RMA and replace them

If I had to guess I'd say 2.2v would take me to about 530 or so at CAS4. I really havn't pushed the memory to the limit on each voltage interval so I can't get very detailed. If you can, strap like an 80mm fan onto the memory and it will be just fine with voltage. You can use some screws and 2 rubber bands to attach the fan to the memory slot. I think the death by voltage stories you hear are due to there not being airflow over the memory. You'd be surprised how much some good airflow will help.

sweet, 1 more question. Is there really much of a performance gain with EPP/SLI memory over normal memory?

That is what I like to call a market ploy. Memory companies just use those terms to get the consumers to buy their product over other guys.

I haven't a clue about EPP memory, but I do know for sure that "SLI certified" memory is an absolute gimmick. don't fall for it. seeing as how EPP stands for "enhanced performance profiles", I'd bet that EPP is the same BS as SLI-cert. memory

haha, wow u guys are smart =D. K i am definitely gonna order myself 2gb of the Crucial Ballistix. Thanks so very much.

I got 2Gb of Crucial Balistix 8500 sitting at home and no mobo or cpu to go with it caus of major stock delays! EPP is just adjustments to th SPD settings, so it has refined timmings for the lower clocksettings no one but DFI have bios options for. Honistly though, the differance, if there is one at all, would be so minor you won't notice in realworld apps anyway

Back