• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit St6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathScyth_Hell

Hey everyone...i'm planning to upgrade my comp...
but right now i dunno which mobo to get...Planning to buy an Abit ST6...but does this support the coppermine core or only the tualatin core...??...cuz i have a celeron chip lying around and don't have the money to get the celly 1.2 ghz yet...

Does anyone know where i can get a ABIT ST6 in canada??...i mean website store...its 85 in american but i think it should be 125 in cdn...

Also, one simple question...is the celly 1.2 ghz already at 133 FSB?..just making sure...

thx...

The Abit ST6 supports all socket 370 CPUs. The coppermine Celerons and P-IIIs work with no problem. I think you actually have to upgrade the BIOS before it fully supports the Tualatin CPUs.

batboy said:
The Abit ST6 supports all socket 370 CPUs. The coppermine Celerons and P-IIIs work with no problem. I think you actually have to upgrade the BIOS before it fully supports the Tualatin CPUs.

Nope just the 1.2 celery.

oh so it only supports the 1.2 celly...hmmm...
before i flash the bios...what does the mobo think the chip would be if i have a 1.2 celly then??...

The ST-6 supports all tualatin processors but 'misidentifies' the 1.2 gig Celeron Tualatin (although it will still run it just fine and in spec) without a bios update....

So it would be ok if i install all the windows stuff...then update the bios right??...and its slower if i don't update the bios??...

Thx again...

Also...sorry for the questions...but which one is better the ST6 or the VH6T...cuz the ST6 only supports up to 512 mb ram...thats really low...
Whoever has the VH6T plz tell me which one is better...

Do i also have to flash the bios of the VH6T to have the mobo know its a tualatin core??

Flu!d said:
The ST-6 supports all tualatin processors but 'misidentifies' the 1.2 gig Celeron Tualatin (although it will still run it just fine and in spec) without a bios update....

The newly released ST6 bios identifies the celery as what it is or OC'd too:)

I've got an st6. Got it about a month ago. Upgraded from an Aopen ax6bc pro gold (440bx). So far so good. The only prolem was figuring out the the FSB/PCI/AGP divider. Some said about not being able to handle high front side buses on this board, so far, for me, this untrue. I'm running a p3 700e at 1001 (7x143) rock solid. Took it up to 1050 (7x150) with no problems. Backed it off for stability, it is my second computer for my daughters.

A good board for me so far.

---------------------------------------
System-2
----------------------
P3 700e @ 1001 (7x143)
Cc0 Stepping
vcore 1.80
Alpha PAL 6035 w/AS II
Sunon 23cfm 33dba fan
Temps:idle 26c/load 34c
ABIT ST6 (I815ep step-B)
256meg Mushkin PC133 rev1.5@222
Gainward GF2 PRO/450 @ 230/460
NEC Multisync 50
Twin Fujitsu 13.6gig
Acer 36x CD
Aopen 250w PSU
Win98 SE

Well why do you need 512ram+ unless your into those autocad programs and graphics?

The ST6 is defintely better than the VH6T IMHO.

Because its sort of a newer generation and don't forget that this board is totally new bugs will be fixed in later bios updates then it will be superior.

maap said:
I've got an st6. Got it about a month ago. Upgraded from an Aopen ax6bc pro gold (440bx). So far so good. The only prolem was figuring out the the FSB/PCI/AGP divider. Some said about not being able to handle high front side buses on this board, so far, for me, this untrue. I'm running a p3 700e at 1001 (7x143) rock solid. Took it up to 1050 (7x150) with no problems. Backed it off for stability, it is my second computer for my daughters.

A good board for me so far.

---------------------------------------
System-2
----------------------
P3 700e @ 1001 (7x143)
Cc0 Stepping
vcore 1.80
Alpha PAL 6035 w/AS II
Sunon 23cfm 33dba fan
Temps:idle 26c/load 34c
ABIT ST6 (I815ep step-B)
256meg Mushkin PC133 rev1.5@222
Gainward GF2 PRO/450 @ 230/460
NEC Multisync 50
Twin Fujitsu 13.6gig
Acer 36x CD
Aopen 250w PSU
Win98 SE

You musta been talking to the wrong people as I have had this board hit 170+ fsb's and currently I think the ST6 has the FSB record at like 255FSB on some japanese sites. So in the end it is probably the best for higher FSB's. Whoever told you it couldn;t do high FSB's musta been smokin crack:D

No....The ST-6 does not have a 1/5th pci divider....If you're looking at rediculiously high FSB speeds look at the Gigabyte GA-60XET or the GA-60XET-C with the beta bios off their website....It has a feature that craps on a 1/5 pci divider and will allow a 200 mhz FSB with all your pci / agp devices at or slightly below spec (all dependant on your memory! Just watch a slightly below spec AGP slot with non NVidia based cards....Some, like the Kyro chipsets, do not seem to like an AGP slot 2-3 mhz below spec).

Here is the record at this place for fsb's stable.

010804_03.gif

It hit I guess 255fsb but not stable.

Here is the link to the whole article. Maybe you can read japanese:D

http://holicho.lib.net/bench/h_fsb.htm

This was done on the ST6 casper which is a white PCB version of the ST6 with a turbo pLL. I have seen the ST6 regular version hit the same fsb's. The tusl2 craps out early as also the BD133u. They don't even have a GB board listed!

While I do conclude that the GB board is nice if indeed you can run 133/33 with a 100fsb chip but so far fluid has not given much info about how well the GB board will handle FSB's above 160MHz. I know my ST6 was a tank at 167fsb even with a 42MHz PCI! He needs to hit 133fsb before I recommend that GB anymore and report his PCI speed! Just cause your NIC card quits working does not mean it is a problem with the NIC card not handeling those high speeds as I have found out.

I have recently shown ol'man the capabilities of the Gigabyte mobo and my mobo hits 133 mhz just fine....Also runs 166 and 200 mhz @ 33/66 mhz pci/agp respectively and has vcore adjustments on tualatin chips....Let's see the st-6 achieve that!

A mobo that does not allow for vcore adjustments is not an overclockers board....

The japaneese use very 'unorthadox' techniques to overclock their chips to these huge figures and a mobo's ability cannot be judged by these figures alone....Just because the Gigabyte board is not listed does not mean it's not a great board, mabye it's due to the fact that it's a far newer board than the St-6....

Last edited:
Flu!d said:
I have recently shown ol'man the capabilities of the Gigabyte mobo and my mobo hits 133 mhz just fine....Also runs 166 and 200 mhz @ 33/66 mhz pci/agp respectively and has vcore adjustments on tualatin chips....Let's see the st-6 achieve that!

A mobo that does not allow for vcore adjustments is not an overclockers board....

The japaneese use very 'unorthadox' techniques to overclock their chips to these huge figures and a mobo's ability cannot be judged by these figures alone....Just because the Gigabyte board is not listed does not mean it's not a great board, mabye it's due to the fact that it's a far newer board than the St-6....

Yeah the GB board is turning out to be a very very nice board for anything that can hit 166+ fsb:D

Flu!d said:
I....Just because the Gigabyte board is not listed does not mean it's not a great board, mabye it's due to the fact that it's a far newer board than the St-6...

It may be a newer board but everyone trying to order one now has foud out the #*!$ things have been discontinued! That was my case so I just went with the ST6R. Have always had great luck with Abit boards and the ST6 is still available.

Sempei said:

It may be a newer board but everyone trying to order one now has foud out the #*!$ things have been discontinued! That was my case so I just went with the ST6R. Have always had great luck with Abit boards and the ST6 is still available.

I just went to directron and they say it's discontinued. Does this mean it's ACTUALLY discontinued or just out of stock? Pretty ironic to see it drop off from gb product line if it was a newer board. Same thing around the local shops, they all say it's discontinued. Any confirmations?

Bonka said:

I just went to directron and they say it's discontinued. Does this mean it's ACTUALLY discontinued or just out of stock? Pretty ironic to see it drop off from gb product line if it was a newer board. Same thing around the local shops, they all say it's discontinued. Any confirmations?

I also tried to order from Directron and ComputerHQ. Both informed me it was discontinued. I've seen a few places which do list the XET-C in stock but I had already ordered the ST6R.

Back