• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High GPU Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylehug

Registered
Hello, I'm new to liquid cooling.

I've had the setup (my first liquid cooled) for about 2 months:
CPU: Pentium D 935 (3.2)GHz
MB: Asus P5WD2E-Premium
GPU: Geforce 8800 Ultra
RAM: 2 GB PC6400
PSU: 650W
Case: Koolance PC3-725SL
Cooling Setup: 1/2" Tubing running from Reservoir>CPU>GPU>Pump/Radiator w/ Fluid XP+ Coolant

Nothing is overclocked

Anyway, I've been having problems with Crysis crashing after a few minutes of playing. The point at which it would crash ranged from 5 to 20 minutes or so. I initially tried updating/changing up drivers with the assumption that was the problem, but then I downloaded a temp monitoring tool and played Crysis for about 15 minutes, closed it and checked to see what my temps were. It reported that my CPU was running at 52 deg C at between 75-90% load which isn't bad as far as I know, but the video card was bouncing between 95 deg C and a whopping 105 degrees C !

Obviously this is why it is crashing, and even if it's not, it doesn't matter because these temps can't be normal and I need to figure out how to get more efficient cooling out of my system.

As stated above right now I have the liquid running to my CPU and then the Video Card. My question is, would I see huge difference if I swapped the order so that the liquid hits the Video Card first and then the CPU?

I checked the sticky about high temps but didn't see an answer to my question.

Thanks

That is way too hot for a vid card that is being water cooled assuming those temps are correct.

I would try to re-seat the GPU block, it sounds like it isnt making a good contact.

What block are you using on the ultra?

Do the tubes between the CPU and GPU feel warm?

The block was actually pre-mounted by BFG Tech. Here is a link to the card.

The tube between the cpu and the gpu isn't very warm. I almost don't feel any temperature from it all; not cool, not warm. I can feel some warmth on the tube coming out of the gpu though.

Its possible the block just isnt seated flush to the GPU.. This of course is assuming the temps you are seeing are correct. If the block can be taken off easily enough I would re-seat it with some AS5. Once you take it off you will see if it was a good contact or not.. Good chance this will void your warranty though.

Another option would be to call BFG and tell them the card is overheating and locking up your system.

What program are you using to monitor temps?

What are your GPU temps at idle? What are your C
PU temps at idle and load.
You wouldn't really gain anything by switching order between CPU and GPU cooling. Those temps sound like there is no water cooling to the GPU at all. I wonder if a factory installation error left an insulator between GPU chip and block or if there is no thermal compound. It would probable be worth it to remove the GPU block and reinstall it.

Could you give more info about your cooling system? What radiator, pump etc?

Does the actual waterblock on the video card feel warm/hot under load?

My CPU Temps at Idle are around 40 deg C, my GPU is 68 deg C. Under load, my CPU temps were around 52 deg C.

As the previous poster stated the radiator, pump and res are all built into the case by Koolance, the manufacturer.

I was using Speedfan and the Nvidia Monitoring tool to monitor my temps.

I will give BFG tech a call tomorrow and see what my options are. I know I am getting good cooling on the CPU, and I know the 8800 series cards are known to run hot, but I can't see this being normal, especially when liquid cooled.

Yeah it is a single card

The flow follows the cycle of ( res -> cpu -> gpu -> radiator/pump -> res )

Yeah it is a single card

The flow follows the cycle of ( res -> cpu -> gpu -> radiator/pump -> res )

but where are the tubes/fittings on the water block hooked up?
like this?

12343_08.jpg

or are the fittings on the same side? (i mean one on top on the left and one on the bottom on the left)

Fittings can be on the same Up/Down side in relation to the pic, but not on the same side in the horizontal as in relation to the pic. You gotta have one on the left, one on the right, as in relation to the pic no matter if it's top or bottom.

Thanks for the pic Spawn, good idea.

i would have made a paint picture but was busy, and still am, but your description clears it up.

I dunno, but there's 2 things that jump right out to me:

1) That koolance kit. These kits are not designed for extreme cooling, especially with a Pentium D & an 8800 Ultra in the same loop. The pump is something to be desired and the rad isn't large enough.

2) The waterblock on that video card is pretty thin, especially for an ultra series card. Should've been a bit more beefy with larger water channels. Another thing to consider is it might not be mounted flush on the video card.

Not saying the Koolance kit is garbage, but again this type of kit isn't for these types of setups. Koolance is more designed towards mid/low end systems with no ocing involved and silence. The heat generated from the Pentium D & the 8800 Ultra is just too much for the koolance to handle.

My suggestions:

A) If you want to cool the both cpu & Gpu , ditch the koolance kit and get something better or build yourself a kit.

B) Remove the video card from the loop and go good air cooling on it

Buying a koolance watercooling kit is asking for trouble. You would've done better buying a DTEK or Swiftech kit instead.

Try reseating the waterblock on the video card. It might help some, but I doubt very much those temps will drop with the kit you're using.

Good luck-

I do not believe his kit is the problem. His card is getting little to no cooling whatsoever. Even with a lower quality WC kit you wont see 100c load on a vid card.

That block cannot be attached properly.

Back